New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Seagate Momentus 500gb 7200 issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm is on a distinguished road

I just got my new MPB 13, dropped in 4 g of ram and put in the momentus. The startup is AWFUL!!! My husband has the exact same machine but OEM (2g ram, 160g hard drive). I started them at the exact same time and was already cruising the web with his by the time mine decided to boot. After startup, mine performs faster (minimally) but that startup is making me think of going to the WD blue 500.

How do I fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

EDIT: I removed my previous comments, because I'm not sure the exact model number of the drive.

Can you open System Profiler (Apple menu => About this Mac => More Info => Serial ATA =>) and get the exact model number for me?

It should be something like ST9320421ASG (although it will differ, this is the model number of my drive, which is only 320GB).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
soulstar

soulstar is on a distinguished road

Your MBP's PRAM needs to be reset. I had the same problem until I read around and that's what I needed to do if I put in a new HDD.

See here for instructions on resetting PRAM.

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

Yea deff reset your PRAM. Mine was really slow as well. However it was slow with Leopard. Then when snow leopard came out I upgraded and I guess it reset the PRAM because after installing snow leopard my boot up time is now only 15 seconds vs 45 seconds.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hard drive clicking very loudly | Is My MacBook A 64bit Machine? »