New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - "delete" key

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dsi

dsi is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Can someone tell me what to do with this?

My delete key use to work as backspace, and w/ the press of commond, it'll works as delete.

For some reason, the delete key only works as delete (as in delete key in windows keyboard) and only do backspacing w/ the key "shift" being pressed down.

Is there a way to change it back the way it was?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Typically, the delete key functions as the backspace key on a PC keyboard.

Function-Delete works like the Delete key on a PC keyboard.

Command-Delete erases everything to the left of the cursor.

Not sure if Shift-Delete has any special function...
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

I'm not sure what's going on with you MacBook Pro! In general, the "delete key" functions as both delete and backspace. You're not supposed to have a separate key for that.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
Typically, the delete key functions as the backspace key on a PC keyboard.

Function-Delete works like the Delete key on a PC keyboard.

Command-Delete erases everything to the left of the cursor.

Not sure if Shift-Delete has any special function...
When he said "shift" the way he did, I'm guessing he meant the Fn key and not actually the Shift key.

To the OP, Jaygray is correct, there is nothing wrong with your computer. It's functioning as it should.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dsi

I really do mean the key "Shift".

Supposingly:

Mac "Delete" : like Win's "Backspace"
Mac "Fn"+"Delete" : like Win's "Delete"

However, on my MBP now are as follow:

My Mac "Delete" : like Win's "Delete"
My Mac "Sft"+"Delete" : like Win's "Backspace"
My Mac "Fn"+"Delete" : like Win's "Delete", same as I just pressing the "Delete" key on my Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try going into System Preferences - Keyboard and reset defaults. Log out and back in after.

If still not working - try logging in as another user and to check if it's the same or not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dsi

Does anyone have any idea? I don't want to reinstall everything if possible... I have projects that's like 12-15Gb that i need for work... hard to back those up....
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

did it do the same as another user?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

bring it to your local Apple store and have them check it out. it's probably just something in the settings that you accidentally hit. Also try to Google your problem, maybe you can find help that way.
QUOTE Thanks
ramenmeal

ramenmeal is an unknown at this point

try going to your keyboard preferences and restoring all the defaults (there is a button to do this i believe).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi View Post
Does anyone have any idea? I don't want to reinstall everything if possible... I have projects that's like 12-15Gb that i need for work... hard to back those up....
1. Did you do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Try going into System Preferences - Keyboard and reset defaults. Log out and back in after.
2. Did you do this?

Quote:
If still not working - try logging in as another user and to check if it's the same or not.
and what was the result while logged in as a different user?

3. Hard to back up? No, it's not. If you do not have all your important data backed up, you will have much bigger problems than how the delete key functions when your drive fails. I would suggest working towards getting a backup prior to anything else.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dsi

I actually try all the things mentioned above... i even got it into the Apple store. They looked at it like they never saw a MBP kind a look. They were all shock and some said mother board is gone, while some others said it's the keyboard... but they want me to leave the MBP with them for a few week which i can not afford to do so...

Problems w/ backing up is that my MBP won't write to a NTFS HDD and a Fat32 won't take any files that's over 4Gb.
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

I had a problem like that with my macbook saving 2 a ntfs drive but I just dragged and dropped and it worked fine for me so try that. Did your local store sell apple products? If not don't believe what they say cuz they wouldn't know anything about them.
QUOTE Thanks
dsi

O... i tried that and it won't allow me to move any files that's over 4GB.

Those local stores are the Apple store.... and were those technicans from the Apple Store that I was talking to.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen upgrade | Black Shiny Keys And Trackpad :S »