New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Makes tick nose when battery cover is pressed on. Even while power is off.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flsafe

flsafe is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new Macbook Pro (Unibody, non-user serviceable battery) and I noticed a peculiar tick noise. This noise ticks just once and it is very faint. At first I thought it was coming from my speakers when I clicked on a link or a button.

As I explored the source of this noise I noticed that it happened if I put a slight pressure on the middle of the battery cover. In fact I can hear the slight tick even if I press on it while the computer is off. Can anyone else hear this nose?
Is it normal?

Of course this becomes a problem when the notebook is on my lap or on a bed. As I type or lift the laptop to put it away I can here this click noise.
QUOTE Thanks
mvesterby

mvesterby is on a distinguished road

I am experiencing the same issue. At first it was just a slight sound that didn't happen too often but now it happens every time I rest my hands on the computer. The bottom seems to get hotter than when I first got it as well. I just purchased it in August of 2009. I have the 17" Antiglare with solid state drive. It is getting very frustrating to hear that all the time now. I took it to a genius at the Apple Store because I was concerned that it was electrical but he assured me it wasn't. We agreed that it must be the aluminum shell and I left it at that but now I am frustrated that it is doing it even more. Makes me very concerned that something is coming loose and will cause a problem with all my data on it. I am going to call Apple to see about getting it replaced but what a hassle. Is anyone else having this issue? Very curious now.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I have this same problem.

I found out the source of it.

I took apart my MBP and found out that one of the screws at the top of my case was shorter than the rest, causing this noise to happen when I pushed on it.

This could be the same for you.

Only solution is to get new screws, does anyone know if they are available at the Apple Store?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first mac - MB or MBP? | dvd drive engages when booting up »