New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - "Not Charging" and no light on MagSafe

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBeagle

MacBeagle is on a distinguished road

I have a Black 13 inch MacBook that I purchased last September. Unfortunately I didn't purchase Apple Care with it.

I charged it last night and it was working perfectly fine. I used it this morning until it reached a charge of 30% and then went to charge it. However, "Not Charging" was displayed on the top of the screen and the orange light did not appear on the charger.

The MagSafe has been knocked over and fell on our wood floors a few times before, so I don't know if that could be the reason. "Not Charging" has appeared once before, but the light was always on and it eventually charged after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Could the DC in board need replacing? I'm unable to go to the Genius Bar until this weekend and just wanted to know if there is anything else I could try in the mean time to see if it'll work?

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

It may not help but I would try resetting the SMC as stated in
Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
MacBeagle

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I plugged the charger in, it did turn orange very quickly and then went blank.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Do you have a ohm meter ? If so start your trouble shooting by ruling out your MagSafe.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBeagle

Thanks,

I don't have one. Is that the same thing as a multimeter? (sorry, I'm technologically challenged) I'll pick one up tonight.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

Yep same thing. Set to DC volts and check for output. If nothing else you can rule out the MagSafe as the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Rcynic

Rcynic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1

In case it persists, try coconut battery(its an application shows you the status of your battery).
QUOTE Thanks
MacBeagle

Thanks again! I'll pick one up tonight after work.

I checked Coconut Battery and this is what it says:

Current Battery Charge: 1138 mAH
Maximum Battery Charge: 4817 mAH
It's at 23% right now.

Current Battery Capacity: 4817 mAH
Original Battery Capacity: 5020 mAH
It says 95%

Additional Info:
Battery-Loadcycles: 510
Age of Mac: 14 Months
QUOTE Thanks
MacBeagle

I bought a multimeter and the charger read fine. I plugged it in again and it works. Weird...but I'm a happy camper now.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

Glad it's " fixed" don't understand but glad.
QUOTE Thanks
cklitwrit

cklitwrit is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem. My daughter was playing in the room I was charging my March 2008 black MacBook on, cord came unplugged light's all went out. Come to find out I had a very dim green light, only saw in the dark. Was set to buy a new power cord and tried coconut battery as a last resort. The minute I opened the program the lights went back to normal and I got a perfect charge.

Link to Coconut Battery: Download coconutBattery for Mac - Displays info about your laptop battery, widget available. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads
QUOTE Thanks
bradleydad

bradleydad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the idea. I had the same problem and after trying a different, known good, battery and power adapter, I tried the above steps, including coconut battery. (I use iStat pro. Gives more info.)No joy. Then I pulled an OEM (genuine Apple) off the pile and tried it. The light turned bright green then turned orange and now it's charging. Strange, yet wonderful.
Thanks again for the suggestions and mostly giving me hope.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Turning Isight camera on for use with Skype? | MacBook Pro: Fan Speed »