New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 8gb ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cdgarcia09

cdgarcia09 is on a distinguished road

So i just ordered the 8gb ram upgrade kit from OWC... man am i stoked.... out of curiosity, does ne1 else have this kit installed and if so, how noticeable where the gains?!?!

i'm pumped!!!!!!!!

p.s. this is going on my brand new mbp 13 unibody 2.53
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Why do you even need 8GB of RAM on a notebook in the first place?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes...I would have the same question as "CrimsonRequiem" mentioned...what do you need 8gig of ram for? Other than $500 dollars less in your wallet.

If you have genuine need...great! Otherwise it's really not going to improve anything that 4 gig of ram wouldn't do just as well...or maybe even 2 gig depending on your needs.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
liveD83

liveD83 is on a distinguished road

It sucks when people think that the key to improving speed is more RAM. In 95% of cases 4gigs is to much. If you're running a program that requires 8Gigs of ram your CPU prob won't keep up with the demands. As in a program that uses 8Gigs prob needs a much stronger cpu then what you have.

Macbook 13" 2.4ghz, 4GB
QUOTE Thanks
cdgarcia09

did i mention i'm running testing of quantum physics measuring the amount of solar energy absorbed by the elastic nanomolecular density of a specific blackbody source within the infrared range of the electromagnetic spectrum.....

lol not really it just sounded cool. but atleast i'm happy
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgarcia09 View Post
lol not really it just sounded cool. but atleast i'm happy
Hey being happy is ok...and if you can afford the ram...no problem!!

We just didn't want you to think that your computer was going to run so much better or faster just because it had 8 gig of ram.

Enjoy it,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
cdgarcia09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Hey being happy is ok...and if you can afford the ram...no problem!!

We just didn't want you to think that your computer was going to run so much better or faster just because it had 8 gig of ram.

Enjoy it,

- Nick
understood. i was just messin around.. lol, but i am thinkin i'll get a lil bit more performance... i'm just the type of person that likes to have it all (kinda a disease if u ask me) lol

but on the flip side... are there any hardware upgrades that yall would actually recommend? i would love to have a blue-ray burner rather than just the standard dvd burner that came with it.... another addition i'm looking into is a 7200 rpm hard drive... any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgarcia09 View Post
understood. i was just messin around.. lol, but i am thinkin i'll get a lil bit more performance... i'm just the type of person that likes to have it all (kinda a disease if u ask me) lol

but on the flip side... are there any hardware upgrades that yall would actually recommend? i would love to have a blue-ray burner rather than just the standard dvd burner that came with it.... another addition i'm looking into is a 7200 rpm hard drive... any advice?
With Macintosh laptops (and many non-Mac laptops), you're pretty much limited to ram & hard drive upgrades. As far as I know, there are no Blue-Ray upgrades currently available....if we're lucky, maybe sometime in the future.

Since your laptop is maxed out on ram...the hard drive is the only thing left.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
sonspot

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

you better off buying 4gb of ram, internal blue-ray burner, and a external case, $500 well spent or just buy 4gb and some hookers.. or, or just buy the ram and keep the rest in your wallet..
QUOTE Thanks
TheGuyvr2k9

TheGuyvr2k9 is on a distinguished road

Kinda on-topic with this, I was wondering what kind of boost in performance I would get if I upgraded my 2 gig mbp to 4 gigs?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyvr2k9 View Post
Kinda on-topic with this, I was wondering what kind of boost in performance I would get if I upgraded my 2 gig mbp to 4 gigs?
You'll notice a small difference if you keep several applications running at the same time. For the money, it's not a bad deal. 4gb is cheap. I don't see 8gb running any better than 4gb though.
QUOTE Thanks
Attimus

Attimus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd

Some rendering engines I use for 3d modeling benefit from high RAM. Though, it's cheaper to buy a PC desktop and upgrade it to 8gigs of ram and use it as a render farm.

My $350 Acer x1200 renders way faster than all my friends MBP's with bootcamp or parallels
QUOTE Thanks
poopieboy

poopieboy is on a distinguished road

For everyone asking why you would ever need 8gb of RAM, if you make music on your mac, you would know.

There are many applications that require tons of RAM, from my personal experience, I can talk about music. These days you can plug your guitar into your mac via an interface and pull up an amp emulator and effects pedals as software and record some pretty crazy and unique sounds, without the need to spend thousands on expensive amps and pedals.. you can use a USB keyboard and make it sound like a $400,000 Yamaha Grand piano in a huge hall. You can make your electric drum set sound like Ringo Starr's Ludwig set from 1965...

but all of these software plugins load directly into your RAM! So the more software plugins/emulators of these kinds that you use, the more RAM you need.

I currently use a 13" MBP with 2gb of ram, and I'm NOT upgrading to 4gb, instead I am waiting til the price of 8gb goes down so I can do that. Because I NEED 8gb of memory to make my songs sound better.

Like I said, there are other applications heavily dependent on memory, such as Final Cut Studio, etc. but my personal experience is with music making, specifically Logic Studio 8.

I could have gotten a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM, but I couldn't afford that and I needed something really portable that I could just plug my guitar and small 49 key keyboard into and make quality music on the go.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

That money would have been MUCH better spent upgrading to a really decent SSD. The performance difference would have been very noticeable, where you will likely see no difference at all with 8 gigs of RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopieboy View Post
For everyone asking why you would ever need 8gb of RAM, if you make music on your mac, you would know.

There are many applications that require tons of RAM, from my personal experience, I can talk about music. These days you can plug your guitar into your mac via an interface and pull up an amp emulator and effects pedals as software and record some pretty crazy and unique sounds, without the need to spend thousands on expensive amps and pedals.. you can use a USB keyboard and make it sound like a $400,000 Yamaha Grand piano in a huge hall. You can make your electric drum set sound like Ringo Starr's Ludwig set from 1965...

but all of these software plugins load directly into your RAM! So the more software plugins/emulators of these kinds that you use, the more RAM you need.

I currently use a 13" MBP with 2gb of ram, and I'm NOT upgrading to 4gb, instead I am waiting til the price of 8gb goes down so I can do that. Because I NEED 8gb of memory to make my songs sound better.

Like I said, there are other applications heavily dependent on memory, such as Final Cut Studio, etc. but my personal experience is with music making, specifically Logic Studio 8.

I could have gotten a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM, but I couldn't afford that and I needed something really portable that I could just plug my guitar and small 49 key keyboard into and make quality music on the go.
If you have to run that many filters to make your songs "sound better," chances are your songs aren't that good. Musician with a degree in music to musician. Take it how you will.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« shouldnt the data transfer rate for USB 2.0 be consistent on all applications | lid problem? »