Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: 8gb ram

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    18
    8gb ram
    So i just ordered the 8gb ram upgrade kit from OWC... man am i stoked.... out of curiosity, does ne1 else have this kit installed and if so, how noticeable where the gains?!?!

    i'm pumped!!!!!!!!

    p.s. this is going on my brand new mbp 13 unibody 2.53

  2. #2

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Why do you even need 8GB of RAM on a notebook in the first place?

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,763
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Yes...I would have the same question as "CrimsonRequiem" mentioned...what do you need 8gig of ram for? Other than $500 dollars less in your wallet.

    If you have genuine need...great! Otherwise it's really not going to improve anything that 4 gig of ram wouldn't do just as well...or maybe even 2 gig depending on your needs.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4


    Member Since
    May 08, 2009
    Posts
    70
    It sucks when people think that the key to improving speed is more RAM. In 95% of cases 4gigs is to much. If you're running a program that requires 8Gigs of ram your CPU prob won't keep up with the demands. As in a program that uses 8Gigs prob needs a much stronger cpu then what you have.
    Macbook 13" 2.4ghz, 4GB

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    18
    did i mention i'm running testing of quantum physics measuring the amount of solar energy absorbed by the elastic nanomolecular density of a specific blackbody source within the infrared range of the electromagnetic spectrum.....

    lol not really it just sounded cool. but atleast i'm happy

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,763
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdgarcia09 View Post
    lol not really it just sounded cool. but atleast i'm happy
    Hey being happy is ok...and if you can afford the ram...no problem!!

    We just didn't want you to think that your computer was going to run so much better or faster just because it had 8 gig of ram.

    Enjoy it,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Hey being happy is ok...and if you can afford the ram...no problem!!

    We just didn't want you to think that your computer was going to run so much better or faster just because it had 8 gig of ram.

    Enjoy it,

    - Nick
    understood. i was just messin around.. lol, but i am thinkin i'll get a lil bit more performance... i'm just the type of person that likes to have it all (kinda a disease if u ask me) lol

    but on the flip side... are there any hardware upgrades that yall would actually recommend? i would love to have a blue-ray burner rather than just the standard dvd burner that came with it.... another addition i'm looking into is a 7200 rpm hard drive... any advice?

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,763
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdgarcia09 View Post
    understood. i was just messin around.. lol, but i am thinkin i'll get a lil bit more performance... i'm just the type of person that likes to have it all (kinda a disease if u ask me) lol

    but on the flip side... are there any hardware upgrades that yall would actually recommend? i would love to have a blue-ray burner rather than just the standard dvd burner that came with it.... another addition i'm looking into is a 7200 rpm hard drive... any advice?
    With Macintosh laptops (and many non-Mac laptops), you're pretty much limited to ram & hard drive upgrades. As far as I know, there are no Blue-Ray upgrades currently available....if we're lucky, maybe sometime in the future.

    Since your laptop is maxed out on ram...the hard drive is the only thing left.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    118
    Specs:
    MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
    you better off buying 4gb of ram, internal blue-ray burner, and a external case, $500 well spent or just buy 4gb and some hookers.. or, or just buy the ram and keep the rest in your wallet..

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Kinda on-topic with this, I was wondering what kind of boost in performance I would get if I upgraded my 2 gig mbp to 4 gigs?

  11. #11

    Jaygray's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2008
    Posts
    1,115
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyvr2k9 View Post
    Kinda on-topic with this, I was wondering what kind of boost in performance I would get if I upgraded my 2 gig mbp to 4 gigs?
    You'll notice a small difference if you keep several applications running at the same time. For the money, it's not a bad deal. 4gb is cheap. I don't see 8gb running any better than 4gb though.

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    68
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
    Some rendering engines I use for 3d modeling benefit from high RAM. Though, it's cheaper to buy a PC desktop and upgrade it to 8gigs of ram and use it as a render farm.

    My $350 Acer x1200 renders way faster than all my friends MBP's with bootcamp or parallels

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Posts
    22
    For everyone asking why you would ever need 8gb of RAM, if you make music on your mac, you would know.

    There are many applications that require tons of RAM, from my personal experience, I can talk about music. These days you can plug your guitar into your mac via an interface and pull up an amp emulator and effects pedals as software and record some pretty crazy and unique sounds, without the need to spend thousands on expensive amps and pedals.. you can use a USB keyboard and make it sound like a $400,000 Yamaha Grand piano in a huge hall. You can make your electric drum set sound like Ringo Starr's Ludwig set from 1965...

    but all of these software plugins load directly into your RAM! So the more software plugins/emulators of these kinds that you use, the more RAM you need.

    I currently use a 13" MBP with 2gb of ram, and I'm NOT upgrading to 4gb, instead I am waiting til the price of 8gb goes down so I can do that. Because I NEED 8gb of memory to make my songs sound better.

    Like I said, there are other applications heavily dependent on memory, such as Final Cut Studio, etc. but my personal experience is with music making, specifically Logic Studio 8.

    I could have gotten a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM, but I couldn't afford that and I needed something really portable that I could just plug my guitar and small 49 key keyboard into and make quality music on the go.

  14. #14

    ADKhikerVW's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 18, 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NY
    Posts
    715
    Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
    That money would have been MUCH better spent upgrading to a really decent SSD. The performance difference would have been very noticeable, where you will likely see no difference at all with 8 gigs of RAM.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2009
    Location
    Ithaca NY
    Posts
    2,073
    Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Quote Originally Posted by poopieboy View Post
    For everyone asking why you would ever need 8gb of RAM, if you make music on your mac, you would know.

    There are many applications that require tons of RAM, from my personal experience, I can talk about music. These days you can plug your guitar into your mac via an interface and pull up an amp emulator and effects pedals as software and record some pretty crazy and unique sounds, without the need to spend thousands on expensive amps and pedals.. you can use a USB keyboard and make it sound like a $400,000 Yamaha Grand piano in a huge hall. You can make your electric drum set sound like Ringo Starr's Ludwig set from 1965...

    but all of these software plugins load directly into your RAM! So the more software plugins/emulators of these kinds that you use, the more RAM you need.

    I currently use a 13" MBP with 2gb of ram, and I'm NOT upgrading to 4gb, instead I am waiting til the price of 8gb goes down so I can do that. Because I NEED 8gb of memory to make my songs sound better.

    Like I said, there are other applications heavily dependent on memory, such as Final Cut Studio, etc. but my personal experience is with music making, specifically Logic Studio 8.

    I could have gotten a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM, but I couldn't afford that and I needed something really portable that I could just plug my guitar and small 49 key keyboard into and make quality music on the go.
    If you have to run that many filters to make your songs "sound better," chances are your songs aren't that good. Musician with a degree in music to musician. Take it how you will.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 8GB of Ram or 16GB or Ram for my 2011 Macbook Pro
    By GrumpyCat in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 03:45 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM
  3. Macbook pro 13": i7 (4GB RAM) or i5 (8GB RAM)?
    By MACpro13 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
  4. i5 imac/4GB RAM vs. i7 imac/8GB RAM for final cut pro
    By matrixweb in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
  5. Do I need 8gb of RAM?
    By Alick in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •