New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - unable to locate drives and folders

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MannyForbes

MannyForbes is on a distinguished road

hello all, i recently added another internal hd to to macpro moved everything from my orginal hardrive to my newely added hd and cleared my orginal harddrive in efforts to only use it for music, now ive run into a few problems and one that i am having right now is that on my desktop where i am used to see the harddrive icon i no longer see it also the applications folder that was on the bottom of my screen in the dock disappeared when i attempted to put the folder on the desktop, furthermore i am unable to locate following folders on this current orginal hard drive

the applications folder, the system and library folder as well as the user library and system folder
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Copying your old system files, directories to a new drive is not the same as reinstalling OSX on the new drive. Once you install OSX, the OS expects folders/drives to be on a certain volume in a specific location (the startup volume). Since your have changed this by moving the files to the new volume things will no longer work as expected.

Your going to need to backup any user specific data to your old drive, reinstall OSX on the new volume and then copy your specific data back to the new drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extended warranty | Sticks on blue screen on boot »