New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Question: Which type I should buy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

M A C

M A C is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. well I decided to buy a macbook but I don't know yet which one I want to buy, so I came her for help and I hope u can help me out.

now, the important thing is I need to use an video editor, for example.. Sony Vegas and iMovie. thats the only and important thing i need it. So which one I can use these programs on it simply. also can you tell me the differences between each one of them. thnx.

P.S. This will be my first macook

Sorry for my english
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

The more video work you do, the more graphics power you'll need. A regular Macbook or a Macbook Pro without a dedicated graphics card would work for general video editing, but you'll probably want the Macbook Pro 15", not the base model, the one with dedicated graphics.

Here is a chart that lists all the differences between all the Macbooks.

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

By the way, there is no Sony Vegas for Mac. You'd need Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio. You could run Windows on your Mac in order to use Sony Vegas, but in that case you might as well just get a Windows PC. However, I can say that Final Cut Pro is an amazing editing program.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Or the refurb 15 inch mac preo from last gen... 1299 for 2.4 ghz with both integrated and discrete cards (you choose which you wanna use when).
QUOTE Thanks
M A C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
The more video work you do, the more graphics power you'll need. A regular Macbook or a Macbook Pro without a dedicated graphics card would work for general video editing, but you'll probably want the Macbook Pro 15", not the base model, the one with dedicated graphics.

Here is a chart that lists all the differences between all the Macbooks.

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

By the way, there is no Sony Vegas for Mac. You'd need Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio. You could run Windows on your Mac in order to use Sony Vegas, but in that case you might as well just get a Windows PC. However, I can say that Final Cut Pro is an amazing editing program.
I think I'm going to buy the macbook pro 15. but what the difference between as you said, the base model and the dedicated graphics, I mean how can I know which one is the base one and which one is the dedicated graphics, can I know which one is it by the outside look.

and can if I bought a macbook, can I put a graphic card the same one that in the macbook pro 15 and it will works perfect?

thnx alot for your help, I realy appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
M A C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Or the refurb 15 inch mac preo from last gen... 1299 for 2.4 ghz with both integrated and discrete cards (you choose which you wanna use when).
thank u
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

If you look at the comparison chart, you'll see that it says, under the Macbook Pro 15" specs:

Quote:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB or 512MB GDDR3 memory (select models)
The GDDR3 is what you want. If you notice, the 13" Macbook Pro and the white Macbook only have an NVIDIA processor and no GDDR3. It's up to you how much you want, 256MB or 512MB but I would get as much as I can afford.

You can't tell just by looking at the computer, but they'll probably ask you at the Apple Store if you want the dedicated graphics, since it's an upsell for them, along with other kinds of questions. They're going to try to find out which one to get you, they're not going to just randomly give you the nearest one. They'll ask you what you plan to do with it, they're really good about trying to get you what you need. Just be sure to mention that you plan on doing a lot of video work and that you need a dedicated graphics card.

It's not something you can buy and upgrade yourself, at least I wouldn't try it.
QUOTE Thanks
M A C

Now I completely understood.

thank you very much Oneironaut for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Anytime... let us know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How should i clean my Macbooks screen? | Extended warranty »