New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Hard Drive Mounting Screw Size?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WintersFury

WintersFury is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate

So I've looked around the net for the answer to what size driver I need for the "standoff" screws you need to remove and put on a new hard drive. And I only found one reference which said it was a T8.

And before I go out and get another driver I want to make sure that's the right one. Seems off to me since a T10 is quite a bit larger and a TT7 is also too big (Which should be a T7 with a hole in the center). So to me it seems like it would be a T6 or smaller?

I know a lot of people swap their hard drives, so I was surprised I couldn't seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintersFury View Post
So I've looked around the net for the answer to what size driver I need for the "standoff" screws you need to remove and put on a new hard drive. And I only found one reference which said it was a T8.

And before I go out and get another driver I want to make sure that's the right one. Seems off to me since a T10 is quite a bit larger and a TT7 is also too big (Which should be a T7 with a hole in the center). So to me it seems like it would be a T6 or smaller?

I know a lot of people swap their hard drives, so I was surprised I couldn't seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks!
Just buy a set of these mini-screwdrivers...a whole set can be purchased very inexpensively...then you have whatever you need now & in the future!

Here's an example...cost you a whole $7.99:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

And another example for $8.99:

32-Piece Mini Screwdriver Set w/Assorted Bits & Case ST-D154

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
WintersFury

I could, but I already have 3 similar things. And have never needed anything that wasn't in them till I needed a sub T7 driver.

So at this point I just want to know the exact size so I can just buy or borrow the one I need.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintersFury View Post
I could, but I already have 3 similar things. And have never needed anything that wasn't in them till I needed a sub T7 driver.
If you have "3 similar things"...and they don't contain a T7...then is it really similar?

If you're not sure of the size...then get one of the sets I suggested...and I can guarantee you the size you need will be there.

And if you were to purchase just a T6 or a T7...what do you think you would pay for it? About the only place you can get "just" a T6 or a T7 would be Sears...and they charge $3.99:

Craftsman T6 x 1-1/2 in. Screwdriver

Craftsman T7 x 1-1/2 in. Screwdriver

Just trying to help,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

t6 torx screwdriver.
QUOTE Thanks
WintersFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcloud View Post
t6 torx screwdriver.
Thanks Death. One size smaller than what I have... Just my luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Connect My Tv To my Macbook pro | VGA cable Not working »