New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - mini displayport to anything hdmi etc??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rich0404

rich0404 is on a distinguished road

hey, had a mbp for a while, got a mini display port, wanted to hook it upto my lcd, has a hdmi input etc.. What you guys recommend best?? Any links etc will be helpfull. I went into an apple store the other day, useless to say the least aswell as she was trying to sell me a mini dv cable or what ever.. thanks peeps.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

from earlier today

Mini DisplayPort Question

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
WintersFury

WintersFury is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich0404 View Post
hey, had a mbp for a while, got a mini display port, wanted to hook it upto my lcd, has a hdmi input etc.. What you guys recommend best?? Any links etc will be helpfull. I went into an apple store the other day, useless to say the least aswell as she was trying to sell me a mini dv cable or what ever.. thanks peeps.
DVI will give you the best picture quality and since your monitor has HDMI it should have DVI as well. The thread bob linked has a picture of what DVI looks like. So the person at the Apple store was most likely trying to sell you the correct adapter that you need. Unless they were trying to sell you a firewire cable for a digital camcorder.

If you don't have that, HDMI is most likely better than VGA.
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

Why not just get this....

For only $8.50 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapter
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
from earlier today

Mini DisplayPort Question
I think there needs to be a FAQ

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintersFury View Post
DVI will give you the best picture quality and since your monitor has HDMI it should have DVI as well. The thread bob linked has a picture of what DVI looks like. So the person at the Apple store was most likely trying to sell you the correct adapter that you need. Unless they were trying to sell you a firewire cable for a digital camcorder.

If you don't have that, HDMI is most likely better than VGA.
Since the difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI also carries audio signals.. there should be no difference in quality. There certainly isn't when I use either on my plasma.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mikec954

mikec954 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 500gb 2.8GHz 4gb

I just bought mini disport to dvi and hooked it up to my 24" samsung LCD and nothing. Should I get the DVI to HDMI connection or do i need a converter. Thanks to anybody that can help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You did change the input on the monitor to the DVI connection right?

Unplug all connections and plug them back in - even if they all look and feel good.

You can also try turning on the monitor, then turning on your Mac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I second Bob's suggestions. My 24" Samsung is connected to a Mac Book Pro via a Mini DisplayPort adapter and this happens every once in a while. Usually I know it has happened because the monitor will blink its analog notice. Turning the monitor off and then on again usually cures the problem right away.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 6GB of RAM on a MacBook? | Battery Problems »