New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Mini DVI stops Internet connection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexg7

alexg7 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have a 13 inch white macbook and need some help. I have an external monitor that I plugged into the first time today. Everything works perfectly, except for the fact that my Wireless internet connection just stops working. As soon as I unplug the cable from the miniDVI port, I can use the wireless again. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
southchatham

southchatham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 macbook, 2009 mac mini

I sort of had the opposite problem. When I unplugged the monitor I would lose my connection. But could get it back by network preferences. I assume you tried to reconnect after losing it.
QUOTE Thanks
afx

afx is on a distinguished road

I have a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro and have the same problem. When I use a mini-display to HDMI adapter from monoprice.com, my internet slows to a crawl. Sometimes it works, albeit very very slowly, but mostly it just stops working. When I unplug the adapter, everything loads immediately.

If I unplug the adapter during an internet speed test, the test jumps from about 0.5 mbp/s to about 10.

I tried the same setup on my late 2008 Macbook Pro, and the adapter works flawlessly. Called Apple and they said they've never heard of this problem. Waiting for a box to send it in for repair.
QUOTE Thanks
ikkiphenix

ikkiphenix is on a distinguished road

I am sorry not to be able to give any solution, but I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Everytime I plug the mini DVI / DVI / HDMI cable to the TV, the Internet connection becomes a nightmare in terms of responsiveness and bandwidth... As soon as I unplug it, it works fine again.

I found it pretty strange, that Apple never heard of this problem...
QUOTE Thanks
drjdpowell

drjdpowell is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, but found the solution in another conversation (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/air...-attached.html).

It seems the problem is interference from the video card when it is set on 1600x1200 resolution (I have a Dell 2007FP which uses that resolution). Changing the wireless channel of the router from the default 6 to 11 solved the problem for me.

-- James
QUOTE Thanks
RedRabbit

RedRabbit is on a distinguished road

I'm so relieved to find out that I'm not alone here! I went so far as to get a new modem and upgrade my internet package. I finally realized just last night that my connection returned when I unplugged my mini-dvi to HDMI. I have a late-2007 13" white macbook. Now I just need to figure out how to change my router channel.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Memory | f1-f9 keys and right shift not working »