Salvaging a notebook hard drive
    The video card from a macbook died on a friend of mine and it was cheaper to buy a new system. She would like to recover all the data on her macbook hd. If i were to purchase a 2.5" sata external enclosure, we should be able to plug it in via usb and browse without any problems right?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jh57808 View Post
    The video card from a macbook died on a friend of mine and it was cheaper to buy a new system. She would like to recover all the data on her macbook hd. If i were to purchase a 2.5" sata external enclosure, we should be able to plug it in via usb and browse without any problems right?
    Most definitely. Most files like photos, music, videos, MS Office documents, etc....should copy over to the new computer fine. But most of the applications (especially those that have serial numbers) will probably need to be reinstalled from their original disks on the new computer.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
    I just turned my old hd from my mbp into an external for the gf's macbook. Enclosure, firewire and done.

You'll have no prob.

ok i installed the mbp drive into the external enclosure. user said that when she plugs it into her mac, nothing happens and drive is not searchable. is there something she needs to do with her settings?

i actually remember the enclosure cable having 2 usb plugs attached. i informed the user to plug in both to see if that works.

Thread Information