New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shinymac

shinymac is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I ordered my macbook pro 15 inch a few days ago, with a 500gb 5400rpm drive, 2.8ghz processor, and 4GB of RAM.
Now I regret not getting a 500gb 7200rpm hard drive instead, because I am going to be using my macbook pro for audio editing and could use the extra speed. My macbook pro has already been shipped so I don't think I can make a change to my order . I was wondering if a 5400 would be sufficient or do I need to replace it for a faster drive if I want to use programs like Logic Pro etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
QUOTE Thanks
nfrederick

nfrederick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.53ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, nVidia 9400m & 9600m GT (512MB)

I don't think the difference is that big between 5400 and 7200.
QUOTE Thanks
jayt

jayt is an unknown at this point

Well based on my knowledge, I don't really see the need to upgrade to the 7200RPM HD. The 7200RPM allows quicker read/write speeds so I think that includes loading up programs (in your case Logic Pro). If your going to be editing audio files, I believe thats more CPU related so a 5400 RPM should do the job.
QUOTE Thanks
shinymac

shinymac is on a distinguished road

I was just reading about people having problems with the 500gb 7200rpm drives in macbook pros, apparently they are prone to freezing and making strange beeping sounds. I'm not sure if apple has fixed this yet but it makes me feel better about going for the 5400rpm. Also thanks for the comments.
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

I've had a seagate 500mb, 7,200rpm installed in my Macbook Pro 15 for a few months. I self installed the drive and have not had one single issue. It certainly loads and runs faster than the 5,400rpm drive. The drive costs $100 so it might be worth doing after you get the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

And if u replace the 5400 then make a start on your back up protection and pop it in an enclosure and do a bootable back up [SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner] to protect your audio files etc.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Absolutely no problem with my Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm drive that I have just put into my MBP. However, as you are talking about audio editing, there is no need to worry, Your CPU and to some extent RAM will sort that out for you. Intense graphic work and video editing is when 7,200rpm comes in handy.
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

I have a 500gb 7200rpm and haven't had any problems at all. Great investment. Go big or go home. haha. Just wanted to never think about upgrading and I have been happy with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 2nd Battery Replacement | Ethernet connection for Macbook Air »