New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - The new guy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

acecessna

acecessna is on a distinguished road

Hello all. I went out, took the plunge, and am a happy new mac pro owner. '
Coming from HP and winblows, I am impressed with the OS and preinstalled programs.
I do, have a few questions, I'm hoping I can get answered on the forum.
I would like to run windows with parallels, or bootcamp, simply to operate a flight simulator I have become addicted to. I have researched the compatibility and have been advised to pick up windows xp, and run it in bootcamp.
The concern/question is, if I install and run a winblows operating system, am I then at risk of the viruses, malware etc that accompany that system?
I would like to only run it for the simulator, nothing else. I have picked up and installed iwork, and am more than pleased with it.
Additionally, I did'nt have as much money to spend as I would have liked and bought the entry level 13'' pro. Now have concerns about the processor, memory space etc, after reading all the negativity from the "anti-mac" and haters.
Everything that is different on the mac, I really like. It just makes more sense to me and I've found it is easier to use, in nearly every sense. I use my mac for small business, mail, pics, video, creating advertisements, web surfing, flight simulation, music, and archive just about anything else I can get on a computer.
Can anyone see any reason why I might need to increase my memory or drive? I know for sure the sim will operate with the current graphics set up.
Thanks in advance for any responses, I appreciate the help/advise.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
The concern/question is, if I install and run a winblows operating system, am I then at risk of the viruses, malware etc that accompany that system?
YES.

2GB is enough for everyday computer usage. 4GB if you plan on gaming or need to use a virtual OS.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you do not use your Windows system for email or accessing the internet besides your standard Win updates and the like, you are fairly safe.

I still install either Avira or AVG on my Win systems in this class of usage - both free.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

I would deff upgrade the ram. I did and couldn't be happier. Only at 4 gb which is more than enough. Now when I go to activity monitor which you type in at the upper top called spotlight, the memory usage has a bigger green part No need for more than 4gb... and it is relatively inexpensive to go to 4gb.

You are probably going to ask which mem to get. Go with either crucial.com or owc memory. They both have great pricing.

If you want to learn how to do the install of the memory, then watch this video to see how easy it is. (it took more time to take out the screws than to install the memory haha)

YouTube - Guide: How To Swap / Upgrade Hard Drive / HDD and RAM / Memory In A 2009 Apple MacBook Pro 13"

it also shows you how to upgrade your hard drive in case you wanted to do that as well. I did and went with a 500gb 7200rpm HD and I am glad I did. Now I am fully satisfied and have a screamin' machine!
QUOTE Thanks
acecessna

acecessna is on a distinguished road

Picked up iwork today and started playing around with that a little. Upgrading the memory is a little pricey when you include the drive. Going to see how it runs stock. Ordered a copy of portable genius for macbook pro from Barnes and Noble. New edition to be released oct 12 as per them. They did not have a copy of the older version to skim through and check out, but they did have the one for macs in general. It looked like the way to go. Any other text worth checking out?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can iMac act as 2nd Monitor for MacBook Pro? | another undecided laptop buyer »