New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Dropping frames playing x264. What am I missing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brunobm

brunobm is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I have a MacBook with the following configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz (4MB L2 Cache)
2GB 667 MHz DDR2
Intel GMA 950 (says "core image: hardware accelerated" and "quartz extreme supported")
Mac OS X 10.5.8

I have IronMan in 1080p x264 format (8GB .mkv file) and it's dropping a lot of frames, to the point that it's unbearable to watch. I've tried VLC player and DivX Player and it sucks to watch it on either.

I've tried watching on my laptop screen and on my Acer X213Hbid monitor, but it drops frames on both and is really glitchy.

Where has this gone wrong? Am I missing processing power? Am I missing RAM? Am I missing a better graphics card?

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
brunobm

Help!!
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

I'm am not familiar with all of the codec's out there but that one appears to be a blueray or some sort of HD-DVD I would say your hard ware is probably
up to snuff to play this relatively well.. but you may need to find an add-in if
there is one for OSX to play it properly .. as I have not found a MB with a
BlueRay player yet..

Have you tried re-encoding it with divx or xvid?

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
brunobm

haven't tried re-enconding it.. how do I do that? I didn't want to lose any quality though..

i can play it fine using VLC and quicktime (with the x264 plugin), it just drops a lot of frames and is terribly glitchy...
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

I use all windows based converters it looks like Quicktime Pro 7 may do it .. and have not tried this but iSquint states it can do conversions the
download is still available but support and every thing else is gone they have
closed up shop but may be worth a try

Download iSquint for Mac - iPod video conversion app. MacUpdate Mac Video Software Downloads

with any conversion there is not only the possibility but the probability that
you will have some reduction in quality .. but would you rather loose a little
and be able to watch it .. or have the highest quality and have it unplayable?

Hope this helps at least a little bit.. sorry could not do more.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Well 1080p requires a high end video card or at least a 9400m and you have a built in intel chip. That is why, the intel graphics chip does not support high definintion, put in a regular dvd and see what happens that combined with cpu ram etc , not enough.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

The interesting thing about that is, I own a first generation intel Mini with the GMA 950. It's always played 1080p HD without one dropped frame. Totally smooth. I later upgraded to 2GB DDR2 and a 2.16 C2D out of an iMac and it's even nicer. It's as smooth with 1080p HD as my Amd X2 with ATI x1950.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The interesting thing about that is, I own a first generation intel Mini with the GMA 950. It's always played 1080p HD without one dropped frame. Totally smooth. I later upgraded to 2GB DDR2 and a 2.16 C2D out of an iMac and it's even nicer. It's as smooth with 1080p HD as my Amd X2 with ATI x1950.
Interesting. I've been researching this for the last 35 minutes and every post I find is that everyone with the same specs and better even on pc laptops are having dropped frames. hes not running a high def movie from a disc hes running it from an mkv file which well. requires alot of resources.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
Interesting. I've been researching this for the last 35 minutes and every post I find is that everyone with the same specs and better even on pc laptops are having dropped frames. hes not running a high def movie from a disc hes running it from an mkv file which well. requires alot of resources.
Maybe it's the MKV as mine were mostly from Apple and the store and some free trailers they gave out to show off 1080p.

They were in MOV (Quicktime) format.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Maybe getting a new Macbook Pro this week | Noticing different temps now that the weather is cold »