New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Battery Questions


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Hi everyone. I've been suffering at the hands of my macbook's battery ever since I bought the thing in late 2006. The first one packed in after a while and the nice man at the apple shop replaced it for me. "My battery is giving me grief." I said. "Of course it is, Sony made it." he replied.

My new battery performed admirably until about 10 months ago when my computer decided that, frankly, even though it recognised that the battery had full charge, it would rather run with the adapter and would switch off whenever I unplugged it. Not the friendly sort of switch off where the little light at the front stays on, but the kind where it just completely dies. I tried resetting the PMU and all of the usual fixes, but nothing. It continued like this for another a few months, then it stared running on the battery again. Then is stopped working again, but this time, refused to acknowledge that a batter exists at all. On top of all this, the little green night on the bottom of the battery stay on constantly and I can't work out why.

So, my questions are as follows:
  • Why is the green light on the battery always on?
  • Is the problem with my computer, or the battery?
  • If the battery is the problem, where can I buy a new one for as little money as possible? I'm thinking of buying one of those Japanese impostor batteries. I may as well buy a poor quality battery for £30 from them as buy a poor quality battery for £95 from apple.

Thanks for reading!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,544
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Your computer is from 2006...which makes both your computer & battery almost three years old. It's very possible depending on how you use your computer that all of your frustration is due to an old dead or dying battery.

Laptop batteries do not last forever...and eventually need to be replaced.

To check out the condition of your current battery...download this program, run it, and tell us your results:

coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5]

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Thanks for replying. I downloaded the program, but it kept crashing on opening. I downloaded another battery health monitor from version tracker. As I feared, it told me it couldn't measure my battery's status and my mac still won't recognise that there is one present. My new battery was only about a year old when it started giving me problems.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,544
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomavery View Post
Thanks for replying. I downloaded the program, but it kept crashing on opening. I downloaded another battery health monitor from version tracker. As I feared, it told me it couldn't measure my battery's status and my mac still won't recognise that there is one present. My new battery was only about a year old when it started giving me problems.
You're the first person I have heard from where Coconut Battery wouldn't run properly.

Have you tried restarting your computer, and then running Coconut Battery? Given that your battery started giving you trouble after 1 year...that would seem to indicate something other than the battery.

But it would be nice if we could get Coconut Battery to run...to get the status of your battery before we start theorizing about other problem areas.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You're the first person I have heard from where Coconut Battery wouldn't run properly.

Have you tried restarting your computer, and then running Coconut Battery? Given that your battery started giving you trouble after 1 year...that would seem to indicate something other than the battery.

But it would be nice if we could get Coconut Battery to run...to get the status of your battery before we start theorizing about other problem areas.

- Nick
Just restarted and it closed unexpectedly again. Would coconut battery be able to analyse my battery if my computer doesn't recognise it? I have the X symbol in the menu bar.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,544
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomavery View Post
Just restarted and it closed unexpectedly again. Would coconut battery be able to analyse my battery if my computer doesn't recognise it? I have the X symbol in the menu bar.
Good question. I didn't realize that your laptop wasn't recognizing the battery ("X" in menu bar)...I wonder if that's what's causing Coconut Battery to "quit unexpectedly".

Check this article out...and give it a try:

Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Good question. I didn't realize that your laptop wasn't recognizing the battery ("X" in menu bar)...I wonder if that's what's causing Coconut Battery to "quit unexpectedly".

Check this article out...and give it a try:

Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick
Computer restarted, SMC reset, but no joy. My heart leapt when I tunred it on because it displayed a 0% charging icon for a few seconds. Interestingly, my power adapter light is orange today when it is normally green. System profiler informs me of the following:

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,544
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomavery View Post
Computer restarted, SMC reset, but no joy. My heart leapt when I tunred it on because it displayed a 0% charging icon for a few seconds. Interestingly, my power adapter light is orange today when it is normally green. System profiler informs me of the following:

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0
So your charging icon said "0%"...has it increased since then, or is it an "X" again?

Have you tried launching Coconut Battery since the SMC reset?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
So your charging icon said "0%"...has it increased since then, or is it an "X" again?

Have you tried launching Coconut Battery since the SMC reset?

- Nick
Oh no, we've gone back to my friend the little X. I've tried coconut and it closes every time. Perhaps it doesn't like snow leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,544
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomavery View Post
Oh no, we've gone back to my friend the little X. I've tried coconut and it closes every time. Perhaps it doesn't like snow leopard?
No...I already checked on that. Coconut Battery is compatible with Snow Leopard.

I think that we are getting into a difficult part of figuring this out. Meaning we might be talking spending some money.

If your battery is dead or defective in some way...we can keep trying things all day long with no success. Also...if something hardware-wise with your laptop is broken or defective in some way...then again...nothing we try will help.

What I would suggest is:

- buy a new battery (more expensive)
- buy a used battery cheaply somewhere (less expensive)
- or if you happen to know someone with a MacBook that uses the same battery...mabe you could pop it into your computer to see if it helps.

If a "good" battery doesn't help...then we know that it is not battery related...and it then may be something related to the laptop hardware.

Good Luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
HiWhatsUpNothin

 
Member Since: Jul 20, 2009
Posts: 77
HiWhatsUpNothin is an unknown at this point

HiWhatsUpNothin is offline
No its not snow leopard, i just downloaded it to see what it was and i have snow leopard so its not that. Just wanted to let you know.

Sorry for crushing your hopes haha
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

 
Sur3Mac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 03, 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,563
Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Sur3Mac is offline
Like Pigoo3 said... coconut crashing, that's not supposed to happen...

Runs like a charm in my Snow Leopard.

But rest assured, your getting the best help you can get.
BTW welcome to the forum, tomavery

QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
No...I already checked on that. Coconut Battery is compatible with Snow Leopard.

I think that we are getting into a difficult part of figuring this out. Meaning we might be talking spending some money.

If your battery is dead or defective in some way...we can keep trying things all day long with no success. Also...if something hardware-wise with your laptop is broken or defective in some way...then again...nothing we try will help.

What I would suggest is:

- buy a new battery (more expensive)
- buy a used battery cheaply somewhere (less expensive)
- or if you happen to know someone with a MacBook that uses the same battery...mabe you could pop it into your computer to see if it helps.

If a "good" battery doesn't help...then we know that it is not battery related...and it then may be something related to the laptop hardware.

Good Luck,

- Nick
Thanks for all your help. Oh I do hope it isn't my computer. I look after it and this is the thanks I get.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,544
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomavery View Post
Thanks for all your help. Oh I do hope it isn't my computer. I look after it and this is the thanks I get.
Does your laptop work fine otherwise when it's plugged in?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tomavery

 
tomavery's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 16
tomavery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1

tomavery is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Does your laptop work fine otherwise when it's plugged in?

- Nick
Oh yes, it runs fine. Maybe it's a little slow at times, but nothing major.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Ethernet connection for Macbook Air | Trackpad Woes for Aluminum/Late 2008 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
New Macbook pro 17" battery life? onefastack Apple Notebooks 7 08-26-2009 05:21 PM
Lemon? Also, battery issues! moofdogcow Apple Notebooks 4 06-01-2009 09:36 AM
3 day old macbook, new battery help!? iPlayLax Apple Notebooks 5 02-21-2008 12:41 PM
Is my battery dead for good? PFerrara Apple Notebooks 10 01-16-2007 03:58 PM
Battery Questions Edwin2213 Apple Notebooks 3 03-23-2006 07:17 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?