New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Upgrade 180Gb Hard drive to 500 Gb Hard drive Utilize USB Docking Station

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pacific1

pacific1 is on a distinguished road

Hello-
So I am about to undergo my first hard drive transfer, big day lies ahead!

Currently I have a Macbook 15' purchased in the fall of 2008.
I have a 160 (shoot i put 180Gb in the title) Gb hard drive.

I am looking to upgrade to the Western Digital WD5000BEVT Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5 SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive:
I am going with the 5400 rpm over say for example the seagate that runs at 7200 rpm in an attempt to reduce heat. From what I have read Mac does not recommend installing anything over 250Gb because of heating issues. It is my understanding though that there are not problems with the 500 GB, rather Mac is taking a safe stance. Correct?

Also I would like to transfer all of my files as well as my operating system from my current 160 gb hard drive to my new 500 gb hard drive. I am looking to utilize the Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station. From my understanding, I will be able to upload all of my files, programs (itunes, iphoto, idvd, etc) through this method without experiencing any problems. I then will be able to utilize my old hard drive as essentially an external hard drive to back up my files (in case of a crash). Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have any experience with this type of transfer / extended use? (Also theoretically, if i had problems, I could swap my old hd (160) into the computer and still have the mac warranty in full effect).

Since I am trying to learn what is necessary to make this transition as smooth as is conceivably possible, any recommendations / insight is greatly appreciated.

From what I am reading this does not sound too difficult, but then again I am as novice as novice can be, so I hope I am not overlooking anything. Also any opinions as to whether this is a solid move for my computer is welcomed. I am not set in stone with my actions.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day pacific and welcome to the forums.

Personally like SuperDuper as a cloner. Full version is $28, but the speed is tremendous over non registered version. Pop the new drive in the docking station and use SD to back up, takes about 2 1/2 hours to copy all files and the OS.

The place new drive in the machine, and install old drive as external backup. Weekly backup is just fine, using SD Smart BackUp option and takes about 16 minutes to do a full back up. You can download it as a trial version but unregistered is pretty slow:-

SuperDuper!
QUOTE Thanks
G-Com

G-Com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day pacific and welcome to the forums.

Personally like SuperDuper as a cloner. Full version is $30, but the speed is tremendous over non registered version. Pop the new drive in the docking station and use SD to back up, takes about 2 1/2 hours to copy all files and the OS.

The place new drive in the machine, and install old drive as external backup. Weekly backup is just fine, using SD Smart BackUp option and takes about 16 minutes to do a full back up.
Carbon Copy Cloner is now free. I use it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Com View Post
Carbon Copy Cloner is now free. I use it.
Carbon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Author (Bombich) has stated that the reason he uses ad banners is to offset the cost of development. I sent him a donation and think that everyone who uses this program often should do likewise. JMO.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

I also have Carbon Copy Cloner and made the donation as all software designers are welcome to make a buck for their hard work. SD is simply better and faster.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

I would agree with harryb2448 SuperDuper has served me well for a long time..

You can use the free version to clone as much as you want.

Have used it for iBook G3's, iBook G4's, PowerBooks and my MacBook Pro for
Hard drive upgrades.. and has yet to let me down .. as much as I use
it I'm probably going to buy the full version.

Hope that helps

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
pacific1

pacific1 is on a distinguished road

Thank You all for the feedback. It is rather helpful. Here is a question I am still having: Is my Internal Hardrive an ATA or SATA? I am reading on the apple sight it is ATA but then have come across numerous forum posts that direct the buyer to an SATA compatible hard drive. Which will be appropriate? Can I use an SATA hard Drive if it I have an ATA? is there a way that I can tell what I have with certainty?
Thanks Again for the help
SATA ex. Obscured Clarity: 500GB MacBook Harddrive Upgrade for Under $100

ATA ex: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
cderaaf

cderaaf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific1 View Post
"Serial ATA" = SATA, so both are SATA
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 13" hard drive upgrade problem | 13" MBP to Samsung LCD TV problems »