New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Strange MacBook Pro Flicker

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogueleader81

rogueleader81 is on a distinguished road

I have the late 2008 unibody macbook pro 15inch 2.66 ghz macbook pro. And ever since I've had it I remember that occasionally my screen will flicker once (a black flicker) and then come right back to normal. And the flicker would be like half a second or so in length almost like a flash of black. This has been happening now and then for like 3 months. But what I've noticed is that this only happens when I'm at my house sitting at my computer desk. I sent the computer in for Apple Care repair and they replaced the LCD panel and then when I brought it back home after like a day it started doing it again. When I take it to school or use it around my house I don't get the flicker. But when I'm at my desk, plugged in to the wall, my screen will every hour or so often flicker. So I'm thinking is it just coincidence that it's only happening so far on my desk? Should I send the computer in for another Apple Care repair? The only thing I can think of that might be causing an interference of some sort that would cause the screen to flicker is my router. It's a pretty big router by verizon fios that actually screwed with my speakers before so its a possibility. Any ideas? Should I send the computer in again? Or can I be right about something in the room that is causing these flickers. Again it seems to only happen in my room, when the laptop is plugged in to the wall. Its really strange. All help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
hoolahoopchick

hoolahoopchick is on a distinguished road

i had that happening to that model, too, and the display repair didn't help.

from what i understand, it could be the logic board (that's what i was told by the genius folks). i later found out it's a known issue with that model.
QUOTE Thanks
rogueleader81

So I should I not even bother taking it back to Apple Care?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueleader81 View Post
So I should I not even bother taking it back to Apple Care?
You paid for Apple care didn't you? Take it on in and let the genius bar sort it out. If it's a known issue, they'll repair it or replace whatever is causing the problem. If they can't repair it, that will be your key to asking for a new machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
rogueleader81

Yeah see but my problem is that the flicker happens so infrequently that I'm gonna have trouble reproducing the flicker at the Apple store because a lot of time they want to see the problem for themselves. And the flicker on my computer happens so randomly that I might go there and nothing may happen. So does anyone know the policy with regards to a problem that has a low frequency of happening? And by low I mean it will happen like once or twice a day and not happen again for the entire day till the next day. But when it does happen it is really really annoying cause it will throw you off if your reading or watching something.
QUOTE Thanks
SMilord

SMilord is on a distinguished road

Greetings,

I'm brand-new to the world of forums such as this, so please forgive my stumbles. I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll do my best to understand any jargon thrown my way.

Until today, I have never had a single problem--and I do not jest--with the two Macs I've owned since 1991. (I used the first for 16 years.) This third Mac may be the exception. Purchased in September for my 9-month stay in Rome, my 13" MacBook Pro just developed an incredibly annoying flicker, similar to what others have described. My flicker consists of white bands, some containing bits of images from other portions of my desktop, that move at lightning speed, then slow, then ramp up, and so on.

Any suggestions for things I can try on my own to fix this? And any thoughts on how one goes about getting repairs on Macs in Italy? (Italian isn't an issue. Finding solutions to problems is a great way to practice a language.)

Thanks for any help you can offer, and for making "home" seem not so far away.
QUOTE Thanks
uxlutsmi

uxlutsmi is on a distinguished road

Finding solutions to problems is a great way to practice a language.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB mice was no longer working and my bluetooth said "Not Available" | DVD Problem »