New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - 2008 Macbook battery will not charge, power light stays green. Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mckayskater

mckayskater is on a distinguished road

I am a noob to macs so here is my problem. I have a 2008 Macbook and when the power is plugged in, the light is green, however my battery will not charge, and it even says at the top "battery is not charging" If I remove the power cord from the computer it will still run off the remaining % of the battery, but If I reconnect the cord it lights up green and I never see the amber charging color. I traded out my battery as well as a different power cord and still the same results. My battery will charge up on a friends macbook, but not on my own. I want to take it to the apple store but I'm at school and there is no store near me. I ran the coconut battery program and here are my results

Current battery charge 4275 mAh
Maximum battery charge 4928 mAh
Current battery capacity 4928 mAh
Original battery capacity 5020 mAh

battery load cycles 146
age of mac 19 months
charger connected yes
battery is charging no

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
mpataki

mpataki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.0 GHz Quad Mac Pro, 2.0 GHz Aluminum Unibody MacBook

I would start by resetting the SMC RAM (System's Management Controller). The SMC RAM is what is in charge of anything power-related. Reporting battery life to the OS, switching between battery and wall plug, even making the power button work.

To reset the SMC RAM take your battery out of the laptop and unplug the machine from the wall. Hold down the power button for a few seconds (5 or so) and then plug everything back in. Nine times out of ten do that will fix charging problems like that - especially on a fairly new computer like yours.

Hope that helps.

Mat
QUOTE Thanks
ropenstein

ropenstein is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem described in the initial post. However, my battery is now dead, so the Macbook won't come on. I cannot see anything... I have tried the SMC reset, but maybe with the battery dead this won't work. The MB won't run off the charger alone. Would this be the same or a different situation?
QUOTE Thanks
MacMaddness

MacMaddness is on a distinguished road

My Macbook won't charge the battery. It won't run off the ac adapter but will run from the battery. Adapter lights green battery icon shows plugged in so does power profile but says not charging. I have the schematics for this 820-1889-A c2d logic board and I have traced out the PBUS/ Battery charger circuits and get conductivity as all good. I've tried all resets with no luck. Please anything I've missed?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

It sounds like the power isn't getting from the charger to the battery for one reason or another. If you have Applecare, take it in for repairs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Excel and InDesign won't launch on MacBook Pro | 2006 MBP Temperatures - is this a problem? »