New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook for girls?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stevescivic

stevescivic is on a distinguished road

so after telling a few of my friends of my newly purchased ibook they were saying to me in a joking fashion that ibooks are for girls b/c they're white and "cute" looking. One guy said that the 12" ibook is especially geared towards women.

I obviously am not offended by their comments but it sorta got me thinking and I started looking around my campus for ibook users and a lof them ARE women.

Did apple partially design their ibooks to be geared towards women?

I personally don't think apple did this but who knows...
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

going from your username you seem into cars, civics...i like vw's

now....everybody says that the cabrio is a girls car or a gay mans car....but in all sincerity it is a sweet ride

a lot of guys have ibooks because they are great computers and they look awesome too. just because it looks nice doesnt mean it is meant for a girl...that would mean that regular ipods were meant for girls....

also, when you look for something you will notice it more often....if you have the schema of girls and ibooks in your minnd you WILL find more girls with ibooks than guys with ibooks

at the end of the day just remember your ibook is better than their thinkpad

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

I doubt it. White is a neutral tone and matches with pretty much everything (except colors that should be their in the first place, but i digress). The fact that it matches with everything is one reason why it might be "cute." Also, isn't it better to know that their a re a bunch of girls using macs (conversation starter: "Hey have you ever been to macforums.com? You should really check it out, there's a lot of great people and we help everyone out. By the way, my name's...."). hahaha um I know a bunch of guys with a 12"ibook. I think in the right hands it doesn't have a gender display at all. Mine's the 14" and there is no way that this could get confused for a prissy, "cute" ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
stevescivic

stevescivic is on a distinguished road

true true. I personally don't think the ibook is for girls myself but I can sorta see from my friend's perspective as to how he came to that conclusion. I guess its b/c a large portion of girls from our school wear a LOT of white clothing hence that is how he probably made that connection. In any case he thinks my ibook is pretty sweet and he actually liked the look of my ibook better than his IBM T-series thinkpad.

For the first poster that used cars in his example: Yes VW cabrios are pretty nice. I personally think the latest golf cabrio looks slick!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't believe that Apple products are design with a particular gender in mine, but more toward marketability. If you look at all of the commericals that have Apple products in them with the Apple logo covered up. You still know that it is an Apple product with out seeing the logo.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I don't believe that Apple products are design with a particular gender in mine, but more toward marketability. If you look at all of the commericals that have Apple products in them with the Apple logo covered up. You still know that it is an Apple product with out seeing the logo.
what about tyhe pink mini lol i bet that was marketed to the females
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescivic
Did apple partially design their ibooks to be geared towards women?

I personally don't think apple did this but who knows...
Why would you even bother to put any credance into that statement? I mean do you honestly think that was even a possibility?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
sonofapplepm

If you are secure in you decision, then who cares?
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Either way, he's happy, we're happy; let's all be happy! Yay for genderless computers!!!
hahaha
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

ya the ibook is for the person(man or women)who whats a lower price apple laptop that is still much better then most PC laptops or most Pc for that mattter,good idea on the ibook,(aftter thsi its jsut me talk to may self)i wish i could afford an ibook right now but ill have to what until x-mas(thats so long)bt i may just get an ipod and small stuff onlt time will tell
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

well.. one fact is.. girls with Apple laptops are cute.... iGirl or PowerGirl,,, your choice :bone:

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
sebeck

Chalk up another post for a VW person and an iBook owner. I <3 my VW and apple products.
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Look at it this way, how many females are going to inquire on a Dell notebook? And how many are going to rush to your table and have a sit just to tell you "It's sooooooooo cute!"?

Just pull that one over on 'em if they question the masculinity of Apple products.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Is the iBook made and marketed specifically toward women? No. Was the appeal to women a consideration in the design? That is a more interesting question. Computers, but particularly laptops, are designed with function in mind over form. The iBook is ascetically more pleasing than most other laptops IMHO.

I love my ThinkPad but I would never consider its design to be ascetically pleasing. The appearance of the iBook on the other hand is an important factor in its design. This attention to form and detail will be a factor in purchase for certain target markets, particularly women in the 18-24 age bracket.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Well, look on the bright side, the iBook is likely to attract attention from girls than a fat grey/black brick of plastic.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery\Recharge question | 12" display replicator? »