New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - My headphone jack broke off and it's stuck in my Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trevorj415

Trevorj415 is on a distinguished road

The tip of my minijack got stuck and is lodged in my headphone jack of my macbook.

I called the mac service center where I live, In Korea, and they immediately said that it would need a new mainboard. Cost, about $600 USD.

I know that's not accurate. I am wondering if I should attempt to take my computer apart myself and take it out.

Anybody have any insights?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

This is a common problem - tip of the jack breaks off and is lodged in the female connector which is attached to the main board. Replacing the main board is one way - but it's drastic and expensive.

I suggest you first do a search in this forum and other Mac forums to see how some have solved the problem and removed the broken tip.

If you would like to take your machine apart yourself, the best step by step instructions are found on the iFixit site. LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Trevorj415

Thanks for the link. It is not clear on the Macbook page of that site what operation I need to perform to take it apart to get to the headphone jack. Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
This is a common problem - tip of the jack breaks off and is lodged in the female connector which is attached to the main board. Replacing the main board is one way - but it's drastic and expensive.

I suggest you first do a search in this forum and other Mac forums to see how some have solved the problem and removed the broken tip.

If you would like to take your machine apart yourself, the best step by step instructions are found on the iFixit site. LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Look for the step by step instructions on how to change the Logic Board. That should keep you busy for awhile.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Trevorj415

Yes, that would keep me busy for awhile. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that it will be time well-spent, as removing the logic board doesn't expose the headphone jack. It appears that there is some metal casing around the jack enclosure. I'm not at all confident that taking out the logic board would enable me to take the tip of the headphone jack out without breaking the logic board.

So far the two options I have heard are:

-replace the mainboard. ($600).
-spend a couple hours removing the logic board, which doesn't expose the headphone jack.

I've read the other methods on this forum that describe trying to extract it. I've tried everything imaginable.

Does anyone have any other ideas? What should it cost if I got a repair person to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Look for the step by step instructions on how to change the Logic Board. That should keep you busy for awhile.
av
Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

How deep is the broken part? Maybe get something metal that can fit in there, apply jb weld to the end of it (not too much, just enough to join the pieces together) then wait overnight and pull.

QUOTE Thanks
Trevorj415

Tried it, and every other method of trying to extract it. No luck.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Here is the best advice that I think of! My friend just went through this same thing. We were sitting there, in his kitchen, thinking of how we could get it out, when I looked at his kitchen's door handle, I noticed it had gotten repaired with JB Weld. So, I got a paper clip, dabbed on just a tiny, tiny speck of JB W on the tip of the paper clip, and inserted it in the jack, making sure it didn't touch the edge. I kept it there until it dried. Then I cleaned it with a q-tip, and in no time, it was just like new! $600 bucks...hahah...what a joke! I bet they would do something similar to what I said and then resell it! Good luck bud!
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

errr....did you read my post 2 up from you, or the one right above you?

QUOTE Thanks
adelita

adelita is on a distinguished road

Hello. I have the same problem and have tried everything and not been able to extract it. Applecare does not cover the repair because they consider it to be the consumer's fault. (Though, is it just me, or does this only happen to macs.)

Anyway, my question (because I don't want to pay $750 for a new logic board) is will a USB sound card convertor or USB headphones work even with the piece stuck in the headphone jack?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it doesn't only happen to macs, I've seen headphone jacks broken off in stereo's, walkmen, other laptops...

now, I'd ponder a bit of cyanoacrylate

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
adelita

adelita is on a distinguished road

hmmm. where do they sell that stuff?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

any hardware store. just don't glue yourself, or anything else, to your macbook.. or yourself.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Themuskr

Themuskr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb

If it were me i would try the glue idea. Just be careful to not get it on the computer. a little bit of a good glue will go a long way.

Macbook Pro 15" 2.53 C2D - OSX SL and Win 7 professional
QUOTE Thanks
stevegate

stevegate is on a distinguished road

like many people has mentioned, I would try the method that using glue, but try to use super glue. I have never met this situation but I know super glue, it is very strong one and I think it can help you save 600$. Just to be very careful when you "play" with super glue coz if it mess up around the headphone jack, even just a little, then you might screw up.

I hope you can try this method and good luck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Going to buy a 15" Macbook Pro - which one? | Powerbook 17 LCD, Inverter and Video LCD Cable »