New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - I can't partition my hard drive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Norbster

Norbster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro ~ 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory, Leopard 10.5.8

Help! I can not partition any drive that is on my MacBook Pro or any external HDD. I have a 160 GB HDD that came standard on my notebook. I have 76.44 GB free on that disk. When I try to partition even 8 GB on my disk a message pops up and it says :

Partition Failed

Partition Failed with the error:

No space left on device

If there is a way to fix this, I will be super happy and thankful!

Ps: I have tried this on my Install disk as well and I receive the same error.

Mike Norby aka. Norbster

Mike Norby, Owner
(407) 970 - 4864
Mike.Norby.MCS@GMail.com
Mike's Computer Services LLC
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Have a look at this link and see if it helps:-

How to Dual Partition a MacBook Pro with MacOS and Solaris : Paul Mitchell

Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
Norbster

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro ~ 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory, Leopard 10.5.8

Thank you Harry,

In the link you provided, Instruction number 2 says
Quote:
Create the new Solaris partition. Actually create a Windows partition and we will recreate a Solaris2 Partition later.
The problem with this, is that I am not able to create any partition. Mac, Windows, or even plain Free Space. And under that, it tells me to go to Netinfo Manager, but I do not have that application.

Do you have another suggestion?

Mike Norby, Owner
(407) 970 - 4864
Mike.Norby.MCS@GMail.com
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have you run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions in Disk Utility?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

What are the steps u r using to partition your HD? What OS? What app 4 partitioning? etc
QUOTE Thanks
Norbster

Quote:
Have you run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions in Disk Utility?
CWA107, I ran all four while logged on the internal HDD and using the Install Disk.

Quote:
What are the steps u r using to partition your HD? What OS? What app 4 partitioning? etc
Collin, I Am using the Disk Utility that comes standard on every Mac. I am using Leopard 10.5.8. I am going to Disk Utility, Click on my HDD and then on Partition. I then click on the '+' sign at the bottom, Click on the new partition space, then click in the Size box, enter 8 and hit enter. I then click on Apply. It does the whole 'Modifying partition map' and after a minute or so, a message pops up saying that there is no space left on device.

Mike Norby, Owner
(407) 970 - 4864
Mike.Norby.MCS@GMail.com
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Just out of curiosity are you doing this while you are in OSX?
QUOTE Thanks
Norbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Just out of curiosity are you doing this while you are in OSX?
I have done it while in OSX and while using the Install Disk. I did this on the Install Disk not 20 minutes ago and I get the same message.

Mike Norby, Owner
(407) 970 - 4864
Mike.Norby.MCS@GMail.com
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. My next step would be to do a filesystem repair.

Start your Mac in Single User Mode (press and hold Command+S at startup). Once at the command prompt, type:

/sbin/fsck -f

...then press Return. If no errors are corrected, simply type exit. If there are, run it again until it returns no errors.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Norbster

Is that the same as Verify/Repair Disk Permissions?

Mike Norby, Owner
(407) 970 - 4864
Mike.Norby.MCS@GMail.com
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

No. It's a lot more thorough.

QUOTE Thanks
Norbster

Ok, I'll do it now and see what it says. How long does it normally take?

Edit: I was not able to do this. Is there a way to start-up in Single User mode going through Terminal?

Edit 2: Found out I had to turn off the Firmware Password Utility. Ok, so I logged in under the Single User Mode, typed in what I had to, but it came back with no problems. What do I do now?

Mike Norby, Owner
(407) 970 - 4864
Mike.Norby.MCS@GMail.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clamshell compatible charger | What exactly is so 'pro' about the macbook pro? »