New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How upgradable is iBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Morrigan

Hey all
I am thinking of an iBook (the most basic, cheapest one) since I am going into honors year next year and it requires a thesis so lots of typing and stuff ahead, and the mobility of a notebook would be great for use in libraries, cafes, etc. together with WiFi.

I'm just wondering to what extent is the iBook user-upgradable? Can I simply and quickly open it up and add RAM and an upgraded hard drive myself? Bearing in mind I'm a long-time PC user who is very experienced and confident in upgrading PC's.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Hey all
I am thinking of an iBook (the most basic, cheapest one) since I am going into honors year next year and it requires a thesis so lots of typing and stuff ahead, and the mobility of a notebook would be great for use in libraries, cafes, etc. together with WiFi.

I'm just wondering to what extent is the iBook user-upgradable? Can I simply and quickly open it up and add RAM and an upgraded hard drive myself? Bearing in mind I'm a long-time PC user who is very experienced and confident in upgrading PC's.

Thanks!
The RAM is very easily upgradable. The hard drive is not a "user upgradable" part, so while it's not terribly difficult to swap out (no more difficult than in most other notebooks), you would be voiding your warranty if you did so.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
titan0111

the most basic iBook with your eductional discount will cost you $899+tax (w/o AirPort Extreme Card)

but since you wanted to WiFi service, i will go with $949 one (w/ AirPort Extreme Card)...

standard 256MB may be good enough for you but it will lag if you try to run tons of apps at once...

so i will op for 256MB + 256MB (512Mb) or + 512MB (768MB)...

upgrading memory is pretty easy...so you can do that whenever you feel it's needed...

plus it's cheaper to get a memory from somewhere else anyway...

and if you are planning to store mp3s or AACs in your HDD,

then go for at least 60GB HDD,

cause like Padawan said in order to upgrade HDD, you will literally have to take whole iBook apart...

So if you go with AirPort Extreme Card, standard 256MB RAM and 60GB HDD,

i will cost you $1,016 total...

oh...and instead of ordering it through online, try calling them,

cause i read it somewhere that someone got extra $50 off just by ordering through the phone...

worth a try, right?

...WELCOME TO THE MAC WORLD...
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

laptops in general are not too upgradable as im sure you know from the pc world....ram is as easy to swap out as it is to pour a glass of orange juice.

hard drive requires more taking apart and voiding your warantee. i have noticed mac programs to be smaller than windoze programs. but you can pick up a hard drive with an external case and either tote that around or just leave it at home with your stuff on it

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If you don't get it bto, you can also add internal bluetooth afterwards...

You just need to find the bluetooth kit that apple uses online somewhere...
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
The RAM is very easily upgradable. The hard drive is not a "user upgradable" part, so while it's not terribly difficult to swap out (no more difficult than in most other notebooks), you would be voiding your warranty if you did so.
Should it need warranty work the put the old HD back in and all the while if you did a good clean job of disassembling and reassembling it then there should be no problem.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
If you don't get it bto, you can also add internal bluetooth afterwards...

You just need to find the bluetooth kit that apple uses online somewhere...
If you're real good with tiny connectors and or a soldering iron you can get just about any off the shelf USB BT adapter and add it to the ibook. You have to remove it from its plastic outer shell of course.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks
Morrigan

Extra for AirPort? I dunno about there, but here in Australia AirPort is now standard on all iBooks and PowerBooks.
Ok so basically the hard drive is difficult to do? It's just that Apple charges SO much to upgrade stuff themselves.
So I might do the RAM myself and have them do the hard drive. Thanks for everyone's help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need creative (i.e. cheap) fix for firewire port problem | 3 yr Protection Plan? »