New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What do you think of this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SamR

As some may know I have had numerous problems with my PB since purchasing it 8 months ago. Long story short I'm on my 3rd motherboard (2 within 4 months of purchase) This morning I set it to turn itself on at 9am (have done this before) I open the lid at 10 and seems normal, the sleep light turns off, but yet the screen is black and I can't do anything to wake it up, even pressing the power button. So I had to hold the power button and then do a cold restart of my machine. Tonight, I get a message that freezes my PB and says I need to restart by holding down the power button. What would you guys suggest doing?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Two rather simple things you could try would be to:

A. Boot from a restore CD and run disk repair.

B. Reset the PRAM. To reset the PRAM:

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to restart the computer.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
SamR

Thanks for the advice, do you think it would be worth taking it to an Apple store again, knowing the problems it has had before? (The PRAM has been reset many times)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you tried to reinstall the OS? That is kind of a last ditch method, but it may clear up the situation.

It definitely would not hurt to take it to the Apple Store again. I have had nothing but excellent service and support from Apple when I have needed to contact them. As long as you are still under warranty, the repair/replacement should be covered.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saw the iBook now I am sad :( | What's a GOOD price? »