New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Brand New MacBook Pro-Old Problems Transferred?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sun619kln

sun619kln is on a distinguished road

Advice needed: I admit to using Limewire and Frostwire in the past on a previous MacBook (purchased in Sept. 08). After a few months, I noticed that my energy saver settings were NOT being followed. In short, my computer would NEVER bring up the screen saver, put the desktop to sleep, etc. on its own - AND my hot corner settings to activate the SS or put the desktop to sleep wouldn't work either (it would last 3 seconds, then return to the regular screen).

Took it into the Apple store and spoke with a 'genius', who said that whenever he sees really weird things going on (like my problem) it was undoubtedly due to downloading files. He recommended I re-install my operating system (which I did) but the problem persisted.

I bought a brand new MacBook Pro on Monday, transferred all of my previous files, and of course now the EXACT SAME old problem persists on the new computer (now I know that the files are completely corrupted).

Obviously, I deserve this for downloading files, but here are my questions:

1) If I removed all of the files in question that may be affecting the problem (using secure empty trash) could this possibly rectify the issue?

2) And if I deleted everything, but kept the corrupted files on an external, guesses on whether it would harm the hard drive that I've just 'cleaned' when I play the files via the external?

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - is my brand new hard-drive corrupted in some way forever no matter what steps I take to solve this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Swap | New Hard Drive Sound? »