New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G3 Clamshell help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

urbandryad

Hi. I finally got a figure for my income tax return and...looks like I won't be getting a new computer anytime soon.

So I want to fix up my old blueberry iBook. I want to upgrade the ram and HD but I'm not sure which types I have to get for my iBook and how much they'll cost me. I also was hoping maybe for an online site explaining how to do the upgrading? I figure if I trick out my blueberry iBook, then there's not need for me to get another computer since I use it mostly just for the internet and for my writing and music. Also *blush* I WANT an iPod shuffle, and I'll not be able to afford one if I sell this iBook to buy a new one. ^^

Well, any advice would be appreciated actually. I hate Tax season! neye:
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Basically any standard notebook hard drive that is 2.5" and a maximum of 9.5mm thick will work with your iBook. Try checking out OWC for a nice selection of drives. The cost will obviously depend upon what size and specs you choose, but you can find a pretty nice 40 GB model for around $80.

OWC is also a great place to order your memory upgrade from. A 512 MB stick will be roughly $100, while 256 MB sticks are available on special for $32.

Regarding installation, here are a couple of sites that give a description of replacing the HDD in a Clamshell:

http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/49.13.0.html

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New powerbook will have a revolutionary display | My external HD/DVDRW is working great! »