New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - GPU enhancement on new Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rmjmurphy@gmail

rmjmurphy@gmail is on a distinguished road

Just got my 13" Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard 2 days ago. First thing I did was install a trial of Photoshop CS4 and it worked like a charm. 18 hours later it froze up while editing a 20MB file. Upon restart I was told that there was a problem with the display driver and GPU enhancement had been disabled... now my graphics are crap. Photoshop told me to check with NVIDIA for display drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA told me to check with Apple, Apple has nothing.

Is there anything I can do at this point besides wait for 2 days until an "expert" calls me?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjmurphy@gmail View Post
Is there anything I can do at this point besides wait for 2 days until an "expert" calls me?
Three ideas:

1. Can you stop in at your local Apple Store & have them check it?

2. You could boot from the OS disks that came with your computer...and run the hardware test. To do this, boot from the DVD that came with your laptop...and I believe you have to hold down the "D" key to run the hardware test upon booting.

3. Since your laptop is basically brand new...and you really haven't had time to load the computer up with a lot of personal files...why not just try booting from the OS disks that came with the computer, and reinstall the OS?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rmjmurphy@gmail

Thx for the quick reply... I will try booting from the disc. I don't really have a local store; I live at a remote light station!
QUOTE Thanks
rmjmurphy@gmail

I ran the hardware test and nothing showed up. I just finished a fresh install of 10.6 and everything is working fine again. I will post an update if it goes on the fritz again.

Also, for anyone who found this thread because they have a similar CS4/GPU problem with NVIDIA, there is an interesting thread here:
forums.adobe.com/thread/374563

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjmurphy@gmail View Post
I ran the hardware test and nothing showed up. I just finished a fresh install of 10.6 and everything is working fine again. I will post an update if it goes on the fritz again.

Also, for anyone who found this thread because they have a similar CS4/GPU problem with NVIDIA, there is an interesting thread here:
forums.adobe.com/thread/374563

Thanks!
Congratulations on getting things figured out.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ethan4

ethan4 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, all was well with my new macbook pro (13", 10.6, 9400M, 4gb) till today when i opened up a tiff in Photoshop CS4 and got this:

What do you make of that?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

That seems like a problem opening up a file for the computer to read, not a problem with the graphics chip...
QUOTE Thanks
DaSvenska

DaSvenska is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus

Ok, I give up, how does one run a hardware test?

--The Swede--
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSvenska View Post
Ok, I give up, how does one run a hardware test?
Apple KB LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP + SSD... how move OS? | waht is the best mac for gfx work? »