New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Caps Lock reversed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dimdim44

dimdim44 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Two weeks ago, I bought a MBP 17 2.8GHz, OS X 10.5.8 (my first Mac ever) and I am now facing my first issue.
The Caps Lock key is sometimes getting reversed. When the key is on (light on), it types lower case letters. When the key is off, it types capital letters. This issue appears quite randomly every 4-5 boots.
How annoying for a machine this price! Did anyone encounter this issue on recent MBP? I have looked at different threads on Mac forums, but I did not find the solution. I am afraid this is the tip of a hardware problem. Software updates have been done. Please help me Mac Genius!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Go into System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard > Modifer Keys and reset the options to default. Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Sounds like the sort of residue left over from a 3rd party app. What else have you been running?
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

Are you sure you don't have a Phantom Keystroker plugged in to your MBP?

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Perhaps not, see this in the explanation -
Quote:
Works on any OS (Caps-Lock toggle does not work on the Mac. May
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard-user1 View Post
Are you sure you don't have a Phantom Keystroker plugged in to your MBP?
That looks pretty cool - only I couldn't use it at work - pretty much everything is critical - besides, they'd just be calling me to come fix it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dimdim44

dimdim44 is on a distinguished road

This is a very strange problem indeed. I tried to go on System Preferences / Keyboard / restore default. Does not work.
I don't have anything running on my Mac. CAPS LOCK is on when I boot up. The issue comes back approximately every 4-5 times boots.
I saw in some older forums that this was a problem some Mac had 3-4 years ago, but does not seem to happen much these years.
Another lead to explore: it seems to happen when I use a 7 years old Microsoft optical mouse for a session and boot up the day after (mouse kept plugged or not). Does this make sense to you and what should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
jasedano

jasedano is on a distinguished road

Ive just got a macbook pro last week and i am having the exact same problem. Sometimes the caps lock key light up by itself, and if I press it then the behaviour is inverted. I dont know what to do now.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedano View Post
Ive just got a macbook pro last week and i am having the exact same problem. Sometimes the caps lock key light up by itself, and if I press it then the behaviour is inverted. I dont know what to do now.
Seeing as how you bought it last week, you bring it back to where you bought it and tell them to fix it or replace it. That's what you do.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I upgrade? | Macbook pro dual monitor »