New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - macbook pro 13" or 15"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macj

macj is on a distinguished road

Hi
I would like to ask macbook pro 13" users how they feel about the screen size. I'm about to get a macbook pro and went into the apple store today to see it for myself. I felt that 13" seems lil too small. How do you guys feel? I wanna get 15" but it is way over my budget. I'm going to be using this machine for school work, some gaming, a lot of video watching.
QUOTE Thanks
sonspot

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

well if you think its too small go for the bigger one, you can buy a 20'' monitor for cheap and use that at home to watch vids and what not. if you dont want to do that, go for the 15'' now, less regrets later on..

am fine with my 13" but i also have a 20" PC..
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

You already answered your question.

You like the 15 inch better.

You may love turkey sandwiches and I may hate them. It all comes down to personal preference.

I have the 13 inch and it is great (for me). I don't see a real difference in the 13-15 or the 15-17, but there is a very notable difference from 13-17.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Andy_M has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb

Guide: Which Macbook?

Use search feature, it helps.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macj View Post
Hi
I would like to ask macbook pro 13" users how they feel about the screen size. I'm about to get a macbook pro and went into the apple store today to see it for myself. I felt that 13" seems lil too small. How do you guys feel? I wanna get 15" but it is way over my budget. I'm going to be using this machine for school work, some gaming, a lot of video watching.
If you need a Macintosh laptop computer...and the 15" is out of your budget...then your only choice if you want a new laptop is the 13"!!!

On the other hand...you could probably buy a used 15" for less money than a new 13"...so that is an option to consider.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

Yea they have some sweet deals on the for sell section here for 15'' mac books or you could even just search online. Buy a refurb of a 15''. There are so many options of buying a used/refurb laptop. Just make sure you get proper apple care ect with it.

Also the reason I didn't buy mine used/refurb is because I like buying brand new (like my cars) cuz I know what I did/do to it and treat it nicely. Also bought from an authorized retailer so I could get extended warranty. I bought 13'' cuz that was my budget but I coulda done with a 15'' but the 13'' is fine FOR ME cuz portability and college laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcloud View Post
Also the reason I didn't buy mine used/refurb is because I like buying brand new (like my cars) cuz I know what I did/do to it and treat it nicely.
I can definitely understand where you're coming from regarding buying a used computer.

But then remember that when buying used you can get some really good deals.

My latest good/great used deals:

- 1st generation Mac Pro, Mac2sell value $1600-$1700, I got it (8-9 months ago when it was worth even more) for $1050!
- 17" MacBook Pro 2.33, Mac2Sell value $1300, I got it for $725.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
macj

Sorry about keep on asking questions about questions here. I just want to make sure everything is good before I buy my first macbook since I will be investing a lot of money in this. My last question is is there a big difference in performance between new 13" MBP base model and new 15" MBP base model?
Thank you everyone for the comments
I really appreciate it
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

13 inch MBP

15 inch MBP

I'd say there's enough difference...in price too

hope this helps...

QUOTE Thanks
macj

I was looking into more of a real hands on experience but thanks anyways
QUOTE Thanks
tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

The 15" is somewhat faster. The bigger difference is in the nvida graphics, and also the sound quality of the speakers from what I've heard. The 15" also weighs a lb. more I believe.
QUOTE Thanks
macj

If I do buy 15" i will be buying the basic one so graphics card wouldn't matter
QUOTE Thanks
tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

I bought the 13" base model, and I'm quite delighted with it. Sleek and portable, and certainly fast enough for my usage.
QUOTE Thanks
passat4012

passat4012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 4Gb Ram 500Gb Seagate HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post
I bought the 13" base model, and I'm quite delighted with it. Sleek and portable, and certainly fast enough for my usage.
Ditto, I just bought my first MBP in june I bought the 13" 2.26 and 4 GB memory. I got the small 160 GB hard drive. I just upgraded that to the Seagate 500GB 7200 rpm yesterday. I love this thing. I will never go to a PC again.
Andy
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

I switched from a 15.4 pc, to a 13 in MBP and I really love the smaller screen. It's a much nicer size, IMO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning my macbook air | Unable to Reformat MacBook »