New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Too Hot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AudMan

AudMan is an unknown at this point

hey guys. Recently got the air for portability... its awesome

but as for what i use primarily, i use the powerbook. so naturally, i just keep it plugged in with my older battery. it gets HOT real fast... and fan noise is loud... even when im just browsing the web, talking on ichat... browsing web includes streaming vids...

what do i need to do?

would it make it better if i take the battery out with power plugged in? if so what other things can i do?

when i use it solely on battery power (with the better bat life battery and w/o plugged in to power), it doesn't make as loud of a noise and doesn't get as hot.

also, when it gets hot, and noisy, like a plane lol, computer runs slower! like laggy when typing. choppier vid...

any advice? plz help! thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
strayduck

strayduck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15in Unibody Macbook Pro Rev. F (2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM)

Have you tried air-blasting the insides of it? I've had problems with old laptops before where all the cooling vents are clogged up with rubbish.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudMan View Post
hey guys. Recently got the air for portability... its awesome

but as for what i use primarily, i use the powerbook. so naturally, i just keep it plugged in with my older battery. it gets HOT real fast... and fan noise is loud... even when im just browsing the web, talking on ichat... browsing web includes streaming vids...

what do i need to do?

would it make it better if i take the battery out with power plugged in? if so what other things can i do?

when i use it solely on battery power (with the better bat life battery and w/o plugged in to power), it doesn't make as loud of a noise and doesn't get as hot.

also, when it gets hot, and noisy, like a plane lol, computer runs slower! like laggy when typing. choppier vid...

any advice? plz help! thanks!
It's very possible that the heat you are experiencing is normal...and not much can be done about it.

But if the heat is truly warmer than normal...then we would need to know what the temperature is in order to determine this.

Install this program, run it, find out what temperatures you are getting, and then post back.

Temperature Monitor: Description

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
AudMan

thanks for both of you

a) how do i do the air thing? if i do it on the vents by the monitor, wouldn't it just blow all the dust into the computer? lol

b) i have downloaded the temperature readings... right now im not running it on power cord cuz im not home but ill keep u updated.

as of now, when its not plugged in, its running at:
battery 32 C
graphics processor 49.8 C
Hard Disk Drive Bottomside 42.8 C
Processor Topside 41
SMART Disk FUJITSU 41

this is when it is running on battery power. at which the fan noise is not loud, runs smooth, and it isn't hot... just moderately warm

when it is plugged in and watching streaming vids, then it gets UNBEARABLY HOT and UNBEARABLY LOUD... like a plane's engine LOL

also nick, which number is the one do i want to keep an eye on?

thanks!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
thanks for both of you

a) how do i do the air thing? if i do it on the vents by the monitor, wouldn't it just blow all the dust into the computer? lol

b) i have downloaded the temperature readings... right now im not running it on power cord cuz im not home but ill keep u updated.

as of now, when its not plugged in, its running at:
battery 32 C
graphics processor 49.8 C
Hard Disk Drive Bottomside 42.8 C
Processor Topside 41
SMART Disk FUJITSU 41

this is when it is running on battery power. at which the fan noise is not loud, runs smooth, and it isn't hot... just moderately warm

when it is plugged in and watching streaming vids, then it gets UNBEARABLY HOT and UNBEARABLY LOUD... like a plane's engine LOL

also nick, which number is the one do i want to keep an eye on?

thanks!!!!
Audman,

I usually don't have a problem with my 2.33ghz 17" MacBook Pro from a temp perspective. It does get very warm on my lap...but the fan usually doesn't kick in too often...in fact I cannot remember the last time the fan kicked on. But if I compare this to my 13" 2.0ghz MacBook...the Macbook also runs very warm & the fans run pretty often.

Both laptops are plugged in...and I'm doing the same activities on both computers...so it definitely seems to be more of a design thing.

Anyway...just for the heck of it I installed the Temperature Monitor program onto my 17" MBP to post some temp. values for you to compare when you are able to test your laptop more fully.

I'm not 100% sure which numbers are the most important...but if I had to guess I would say the CPU & graphics temps....and then the memory (ram).

After about an hour on my lap...my temps are:

- CPU Diode 49C
- Graphics Chip heatsink 47C
- Memory Sensor 55C

In your case you mentioned watching streaming video. I think streaming video puts a lot of demand on the hardware. So obviously this will increase temps. If all you were doing was posting messages on Mac-Forums...I'm betting your temps would be lower.

Hope this helps...please post your temps when you have time to do more testing.

Thanks,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
AudMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Audman,

I usually don't have a problem with my 2.33ghz 17" MacBook Pro from a temp perspective. It does get very warm on my lap...but the fan usually doesn't kick in too often...in fact I cannot remember the last time the fan kicked on. But if I compare this to my 13" 2.0ghz MacBook...the Macbook also runs very warm & the fans run pretty often.

Both laptops are plugged in...and I'm doing the same activities on both computers...so it definitely seems to be more of a design thing.

Anyway...just for the heck of it I installed the Temperature Monitor program onto my 17" MBP to post some temp. values for you to compare when you are able to test your laptop more fully.

I'm not 100% sure which numbers are the most important...but if I had to guess I would say the CPU & graphics temps....and then the memory (ram).

After about an hour on my lap...my temps are:

- CPU Diode 49C
- Graphics Chip heatsink 47C
- Memory Sensor 55C

In your case you mentioned watching streaming video. I think streaming video puts a lot of demand on the hardware. So obviously this will increase temps. If all you were doing was posting messages on Mac-Forums...I'm betting your temps would be lower.

Hope this helps...please post your temps when you have time to do more testing.

Thanks,

- Nick
hey man. thanks for the time your putting in to give me inputs and help.
last night as watching a streaming vid and plugged in, its getting a read of:

Bat - 37 C
Graphics - 57.2
HD bottomside - 47 C
Processor Topside - 60 C
SMART DISK - 47 C

idk what to compare to what from your post... lol names are different
im assuming graphics = graphics which in that case, im running it 10 C hotter... and processor = memory sensor? or maybe HD bottomside... but then mines running about 10 C cooler than urs which i doubt...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hey man. thanks for the time your putting in to give me inputs and help.
last night as watching a streaming vid and plugged in, its getting a read of:

Bat - 37 C
Graphics - 57.2
HD bottomside - 47 C
Processor Topside - 60 C
SMART DISK - 47 C

idk what to compare to what from your post... lol names are different
im assuming graphics = graphics which in that case, im running it 10 C hotter... and processor = memory sensor? or maybe HD bottomside... but then mines running about 10 C cooler than urs which i doubt...
Yeah...it looks like some of the names are a bit different. I'm basically using the hottest CPU temp (probably the same as your processor temp), the hottest graphics temp, and the memory (ram) temp.

The Temperature Monitor program comes with a "Lite" version, and I guess you would call it a "full" version.

Which did you install...I installed the "fuller" version.

I've been on my computer for about 1.5 hours, and my temps increased slightly:

- CPU Diode 50C (up from 49C, but actually flipping between 49 & 50C)
- Graphics Processor Heatsink 48C (up from 47C)
- Memory Sensor 56C (up from 55C)

Basically no major changes.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yeah...it looks like some of the names are a bit different. I'm basically using the hottest CPU temp (probably the same as your processor temp), the hottest graphics temp, and the memory (ram) temp.

The Temperature Monitor program comes with a "Lite" version, and I guess you would call it a "full" version.

Which did you install...I installed the "fuller" version.

I've been on my computer for about 1.5 hours, and my temps increased slightly:

- CPU Diode 50C (up from 49C, but actually flipping between 49 & 50C)
- Graphics Processor Heatsink 48C (up from 47C)
- Memory Sensor 56C (up from 55C)

Basically no major changes.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
And then, there is mine.

MacBook Pro, 1.83Ghz Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM & Fujitsu 160GB / 7200RPM HD.

This thing runs insanely hot!

I got so worried, I went out and bought a piece of 12"x18" porcelain wall tile to sit the laptop on while it is on my desk. Four felt feet on the bottom keep it from scratching the desktop - $3.00. I was worried the heat radiating off the bottom would strip the finish off my table. Now at least, if it catches on fire, the rest of the house should be safe.

Ambient Air = 34c to 35c
CPU A Temp Diode = 66c to 81c
CPU Core 1 = 69c to 88c
CPU Core 2 = 64c to 83c
Enclosure Bottom = 38c to 40c
GPC 1 = 59c to 67c
GP Heatsink = 64c to 74c
Main Heatsink 1 = 46c to 49c
Main Heatsink 2 = 47c to 51c
Mem Cont = 62c to 66c
SMART HD = 46c to 48c

Not sure what all this means - except I know I can't stand touching this laptop for more than 5 or 10 min - max.
So, here it sits on it's little porcelain tile throne - with a wireless keyboard & mouse. A laptop that will never see another laptop (human)
QUOTE Thanks
viWoody

viWoody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
So, here it sits on it's little porcelain tile throne - with a wireless keyboard & mouse. A laptop that will never see another laptop (human)
I noticed that Apple stopped calling them "Laptops" some time ago and changed to "Notebooks" I think in part due to the temperature problems.

BTW any one of the many notebook coolers would isolate your laptop from your desk surface, all the while doing a much better job of keeping the temperatures down.
QUOTE Thanks
AudMan

lol dude laptop --> notebooks pretty funny remark!

does your laptop... excuse me, notebooks, have choppy streaming vids when it gets hot? ... my powerbook does... i guess the temp thing is just how it runs... but seems funny to be getting a choppy streaming vid like watching hulu haha

btw i downloaded the fuller one of the two... not the lite. it is bizarre that the names are diff? mayb you have an older version?

my dad insists that i get a new notebook... he wants to buy me the air for portability for grad school... but i think for 1799, id rather get the better spec macbook pro for 1499 (better of the two for either class)... what you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

That's what the porcelain tile is for - acts as a passive heatsink. Oh, and a firebreak (just in case ;-) ) - And... much cheaper than a notebook cooler from Fry's.

A rhetorical question (in otherwords: No one needs to reply): Why do I need such a thing (laptop cooler)? This MBP is sitting on the desk in my air-conditioned office - not the Goby Desert. Shouldn't some smart Engineering Team have designed the hardware with proper thermal characteristics in the first place? Is it the charger? The battery? Why is this thing smokin' hot (in a bad way)?

I know, I know, It's heresy - but if Apple is going to force me to run OS-X on their proprietary hardware, shouldn't they do a better Job with the HW design?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« net card going bad | Revert to Factory Settings from MBP install disc »