New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Keyboard won't light up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

s.k.

s.k. is on a distinguished road

I bought my MacBook Pro at the beginning of August. When we were purchasing, I went to the local University because I was told it would be cheaper to buy it there. I bought the cheapest one that they had, and it was cheaper because of the processor speed. When I bought it I was told that for $100 there won't be a noticeable difference.
A few days after I had it I realized that they keyboard wasn't lighting up when the lights were off. When I was first looking into an Apple I was told that the Macbook Pro Keyboards light up in the dark. I looked it up online and found that only certain processor speeds will light up the keyboard. Is there any way that I could get work done on my laptop to get the keyboard to light up? Or would I have to buy a new processor speed? And how much would it cost?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Is this a MacBook or a MacBook Pro? Yes, the lower end Aluminum Macbooks (previous generation) did not come with a backlit keyboards. But the most current model (now called a MacBook Pro) has a backlit keyboard for all models.

Did you check to make sure that it is turned on? Go into a darkened room and tap F6 repeatedly.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
s.k.

I have a Macbook Pro. I think. I was told it was a MacBook Pro. Would it say "MacBook Pro" right on the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Yep, just under the display.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
s.k.

Okay. So apparently I don't have a Pro and now I'm upset. When we asked the difference between the two computers, she said only the processor speed. Well the cheaper one (That I got) Isn't a Pro. Now I have to see if there's some way I can get a Pro out of this.
QUOTE Thanks
s.k.

Okay. So I plan on going back to where I bought the computer, and telling them that I want the MacBook Pro, a straight exchange because that's what I was looking at and I wasn't told that the one she was giving me wasn't a Pro.
Does the keyboard light up on any Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Affirmative.

Sorry about you getting laid off.
You know, it could just as well be a mistake on their part.
Just be nice...
I hope they will help you solve the problem.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help deciding what I should purchase | how do i find the spec of my macbook »