New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Help deciding what I should purchase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TooSick4You

TooSick4You is on a distinguished road

Alright I have my mind set on purchasing a MB or MBP. I am currently using a Dell Studio 15 and I'm bored/fed up/tired of Windows I've had to reboot it 3 times and it hasn't even been a year. I would also like to have something smaller the 15 inch screen is pretty big. I am scheduled to leave for the Air Force in December and I will be using it mainly for music, online classes, pictures/video and internet bloggin. I used a MBP in the store and fell in love with the ease of everything.

So what I wanted to know is it really worth the extra money in between the two?

If I purchase one bone stock am I able to go to a Apple store and have them upgrade the hard drive and the RAM?

Thanks for the answers! May purchase one later today!
QUOTE Thanks
VTX1800

VTX1800 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,

I just bought the 13" MBP and for it was definately worth the extra $. Plus it sounds like you are a student so you will get $100 off the MBP, plus you can get a free iPod touch still I think. I really like the unibody look and feel and i'm fairly certain it will be more durable than the poly model.
QUOTE Thanks
mikey.b@gmx.com

mikey.b@gmx.com is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G

Sounds like you don't really need the extra power or the Pro from the things you said you will want it for. I would go with the MB if I were you, and save the money. If you do go with the MB though, it's not unibody.

You can upgrade the hard drive and RAM yourself quite easily, and for much less than apple charge. Those to parts are 'user serviceable'.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Andy_M has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb

Ok lets be honest here, both machines will do what you want it to do, but is the extra money worth it.

In short? Yes.

The more you spend the better the machine in this case, not only will you bare the MB Pro name but also have some good spec inside which should make it last that tad longer for your future use. not to mention a better model is always easier to sell in the future...

If its only a few $$ more its well worth the upgrade for these reasons
1) Think of the extra $$ then compare it to a bit extra long use for that machine
2) You will get what you wanted first time round, and life is to short
3) Easier to sell in future

All the best and let us know what you choose!

Photography Portfolio | Apple Geek, Windows Professional, Web Knight, Passionate Biker
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSick4You View Post
So what I wanted to know is it really worth the extra money in between the two?
That's for you to decide if it's worth the money or not.

Quote:
If I purchase one bone stock am I able to go to a Apple store and have them upgrade the hard drive and the RAM?
No they won't.
QUOTE Thanks
TooSick4You

TooSick4You is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.b@gmx.com View Post
Sounds like you don't really need the extra power or the Pro from the things you said you will want it for. I would go with the MB if I were you, and save the money. If you do go with the MB though, it's not unibody.

You can upgrade the hard drive and RAM yourself quite easily, and for much less than apple charge. Those to parts are 'user serviceable'.
never thought of that.
does doing it your self void the warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
mikey.b@gmx.com

mikey.b@gmx.com is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSick4You View Post
never thought of that.
does doing it your self void the warranty?
No it will not void the warranty unless you break something in there whilst your doing it, but its a pretty easy swap to make, so you shouldn't break anything.

There are lots of guides online in text, and video form. Would probably be a good idea to check one of these out if you're not 100% sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« optical drive problems | Keyboard won't light up »