New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Odd metallic noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Adnerb

Adnerb is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new MacBook Pro the beginning of August and have noticed an odd noise coming from the computer when I move it certain ways. It makes an odd metallic clunk-type noise. (I have owned many laptops in the past and have never heard a noise like this.) It almost sounds like something is loose and is bumping against something inside the computer. It is not a noise related to when it is running. Thoughts? Return it? Worried something might happen down the road...
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I would suggest taking it in, and let Apple have a look.

QUOTE Thanks
Themuskr

Themuskr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb

i think i may have had the same noise. i found out mine was because of what i assume were grounding leads that press against the bottom plate of the laptop. they were kind of scratching the bottom plate if you will. took the bottom off and put it back on and have yet to get the noise again. hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
tye

tye is on a distinguished road

I have the same sound and have looked it up, although I cannot remember from where. From what I understand there is some kind of protection mechanism by which if the newer macbook pros are suddenly moved the disk protection mechanism engages. It is primarily meant to protect the hard drive from dropping. This sound is normal when picking up the MBP ect...
QUOTE Thanks
Themuskr

Themuskr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb

thats the sudden motion sensor. i think he might have a different noise. the SMS is more of a single click. plus he said it does it when its off..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« memory upgrade questions | going to buy 15 pro need some help »