New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - How to turn off the touchpad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dubdub

dubdub is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro/2.53 C2D/4GB

I have a 13" MacBook Pro. Using both the Mighty Mouse and sometimes a Logitec or Microft BT Mouse.

Is there a way to turn off the track pad when I am using the mouse. Its very annoying to be tying along and then notice everything is gone or the words are somewhere other than where they are supposed to be - caused by a finger flashinf over the touch pad.

I have looked in settings, nothing there. Done a search, nothing that I could find. Even tried Gogole and that was also nada. I am about to think Apple forgot this little feature.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

It should be in settings.

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad Tab > "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present"

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That might be under System Preferences > Trackpad > "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" depending on what version of OS X you're using (I think Apple moved things around in a 10.5.x update).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub View Post
I have looked in settings, nothing there. Done a search, nothing that I could find. Even tried Gogole and that was also nada. I am about to think Apple forgot this little feature.

Thanks in advance.
Of course you can control the trackpad settings go to:

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Trackpad > Trackpad Gestures

Then select or deselect whatever trackpad settings you want.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
dubdub

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have looked there. Not an option under 10.5.8. No option to ignore the trackpad in either the Mouse or Touchpad.

Getting really annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I have looked there. Not an option under 10.5.8. No option to ignore the trackpad in either the Mouse or Touchpad.

Getting really annoying.
Believe me it's there! You got 3 responses to your question...and you basically got the same answer from all three people.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Believe me it's there! You got 3 responses to your question...and you basically got the same answer from all three people.

- Nick
I agree. I'm running 10.5.8 and under System Preferences > Trackpad, there is an option (at the very bottom) labeled "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present".

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
dubdub

Sorry, but there is nothing there that allows me to turn off the track pad. Trust me. I am not stupid or computer illiterate. Been using apple since the IIe in 1983. Also have a PowerBook G4 and a 19 in iMac on order. Been using PCs for years and years, so I kinda know my way around.

Under the Apple drop down>System Preferences>

Large box opens. Second row is Hardware. Hit the Trackpad icon.

Along the top "Tracking Speed" "Scrolling Speed" and "Double Click Speed"

On the left under these three bars, I have One finger, Two fingers, Three Fingers and Four Fingers and a video on the right showing what the fingers do. Nothing else.

Tried the help menu and it said go into Keyboard and Mouse and select Trackpad. I have "Keyboard" "Mouse" "Bluetooth" and "Keyboard Shortcuts" No "Trackpad" option.

I have Apple set up to call me tomorrow afternoon.

I have Apple tech support set up to call me tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
indianavtx

indianavtx is on a distinguished road

dubdub is correct. i'm running 10.5.8 on my MBP 15" and there is no option to turn off the trackpad.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (281.6 KB, 59 views)
QUOTE Thanks
drummerkid1993

drummerkid1993 is an unknown at this point

I also cannot find the 'turn off' option
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Not available June'08 MBP (Pre uni body) running OSX 10.5.8. either.
There are many differences from Keyboard layouts to trackpad options on the MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Please take it easy guys, the owners know what they have and haven't got available.
Bit like the F7 to F9 media keys on my original MBP that someone suggested I couldn't have

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

We must be the only ones with this ability then!

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

Getting really annoying.
Like "Vansmith" mentioned above...there's a option in the "trackpad" preference window (a check box) to select or deselect "Ignore Trackpad when Mouse is Present".

I'm running OS 10.5.7. "Vansmith" is running 10.5.8....and we both have the same trackpad option available...so it doesn't seem to matter whether it's OS 10.5.7 or 10.5.8.

Sounds like not all laptops have the same trackpad control options.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
GK27V6

GK27V6 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB

I have a second-gen MacBook (white) running 10.5.8, and the option is available for me. Sucks to be you guys, lol.

QUOTE Thanks
dubdub

So now you believe me. What is the solution or is there not one?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Opening sites in https? | MacBook Pro has 'wrong' RAM - should I replace? »