New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - First-gen Macbook not recognizing Ext. HD on USB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AnaLorenzo

AnaLorenzo is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook1,1 and a LaCie Hard Drive. I bought both in August of 2006.

Both have worked very smoothly together for the past 3 years, but suddenly my computer is not fully accepting the hard drive. The hard drive icon doesn't show up on my desktop or finder. The hard drive was only to hold music, and I can't access the files through iTunes either. However, when plugged it into the USB, my system profiler detects and lists that it's plugged into the USB High-Speed Bus.

Moreover, the USB is still detecting my iPod and my mouse (both Apple products). but now whenever I plug it in it says that I have plugged my iPod into a USB 1.1 port, and it would be better if I plugged it into a USB 2.0 for better performance. I've never had happen before the hard drive incident... I assume that I've always had USB 2.0 ports. Is it possible that suddenly my USB 2.0 turned into a 1.1? Also, the USB isn't detecting my camera.

Help! I really miss my music. I'm not very computer literate but I'll try to answer questions to the best of my ability.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cd drive not working properly | My Review of the WhiteBook, MacBook Pro 13", and MacBook Pro 15". »