Hot and horizontal white lines on screen
    Just fyi: My Macbook Pro is 2 years old.

1. My laptop gets incredibly hot after roughly 45 minutes, no matter what surface it's on, my lap, my wood desk, or my bed. It gets so hot that I literally hold it up because I'm afraid of frying it. It rarely crashes, but has twice this past week. Is there anything I can do about this?

2. The lower right corner of the screen feels loose to the touch, and if pressed, kind of causes the screen to flicker with a few horizontal white lines. Any fix for that?

Thanks in advance!

Targus makes a nice fan unit that my MBP sits on and keeps it right cool. It has 4 USB outlets on it also. Here's one of theirs:

There are other chillers available on the market.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by kennerguy66 View Post
    Just fyi: My Macbook Pro is 2 years old.

1. My laptop gets incredibly hot after roughly 45 minutes, no matter what surface it's on, my lap, my wood desk, or my bed. It gets so hot that I literally hold it up because I'm afraid of frying it. It rarely crashes, but has twice this past week. Is there anything I can do about this?

2. The lower right corner of the screen feels loose to the touch, and if pressed, kind of causes the screen to flicker with a few horizontal white lines. Any fix for that?

Thanks in advance!
    Regarding #1...the surface you have your laptop on (lap, desk, or bed)...it really doesn't matter. The heat is being generated inside the laptop. Although, on a bed with blankets & such...this will tend to reduce air flow around the laptop which can help cool things.

Regarding #2...If the display is loose at the hinge...your hinge is either partially broken or loose. When did you drop your laptop, or get a little to "zealous" opening/closing the screen!

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Regarding #1...the surface you have your laptop on (lap, desk, or bed)...it really doesn't matter. The heat is being generated inside the laptop. Although, on a bed with blankets & such...this will tend to reduce air flow around the laptop which can help cool things.

Regarding #2...If the display is loose at the hinge...your hinge is either partially broken or loose. When did you drop your laptop, or get a little to "zealous" opening/closing the screen!

- Nick
    So would buying a cooling fan reduce this problem like the first poster said?

As for the screen, the laptop did take about a 2 foot drop, while it was off and closed, in my padded backpack. Is there a fix for it being loose then, or am I just stuck with it?

A fan will increase cooling. Yes.
    Is it significant?

If your system isn't shutting down automatically due to overheating, then I reckon you'll be fine.
    Waiting for the game that takes full advantage of a 124bit, 3.5GHz, 8-core, 64Gig-RAM system.

Thread Information