New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

MacBook Pro - Pro or Air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andy_M

Andy_M has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb

Well I had a "iMac 20", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gb Ram, 250Gb Hd, ATI X1600 256MB" but sold this because I wanted something new and now I am on the hunt for that something new.

Which out the two would you go for and why?

2.13Ghz Air version
15" 2.52Ghz Pro version

I am a web designer and also a photographer and would take this only to work and to and from my friends house.
Am looking to run Aperture on the machine again.
QUOTE Thanks
DragonLance

DragonLance is an unknown at this point

Pro.
Unless you need ultimate portability, the pro's gonna beat the air in pretty much everything.
the air will run out of room pretty fast if you keep lots of photos and other files, unless you're gonna use external drives.
I assume you're going to use disks? in which case the pro has an optical drive, unless you're gonna use the external version ...
You're probably going to end up with lots of peripherals to add to the cost if you're going to use the air.

Waiting for the game that takes full advantage of a 124bit, 3.5GHz, 8-core, 64Gig-RAM system.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Even after the price drop, I still believe the Air to be overpriced.

Between the 13" MacBook Pro and the Air, I'd choose the Pro. Really the only thing you stand to gain by going with the Air is the very thin size and slightly lighter weight. Otherwise, the Pro gives it a thorough trouncing in just about every other aspect.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just my personal opinion...but when it comes to the "Air"...it's a neat idea. It pushes the envelope of industrial design trying to make computers "sexier" & more eye appealing.

When you're purchasing a MacBook Air you're paying a premium for the "coolness" or "sexiness" factor.

When it comes to computing performance "value"...the MacBook Air is a big ripoff!

Comparing the entry level MacBook Air to the entry level MacBook Pro:

- you pay more for the "Air" ($500 bucks more!)
- you get a slower processor
- smaller hard drive with the Air
- same size screen
- you get no CD/DVD with the Air (yes I know this is to save weight)

Yes...the Air is somewhat thinner than the MacBook Pro, and somewhat lighter. But in the end, you're paying $500 bucks more and getting less computer (less CPU speed, less hard drive, no DVD drive).

In my personal opinion...it's not worth paying $500 dollars more for the:

- "cooler/sexier" design
- lighter weight
- and getting less computing power/features

Of course other folks will disagree...and that's ok as well!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Periculum

Periculum is an unknown at this point

Laptops are designed to be "less", to be small, to have less computing power than if they would be a large desktop computer or to be so tiny that they have (somewhat) the same power and are still portable. The irony to this is that you pay more for less. You need to balance computer capacity and portability and the macbook air is at the extreme end of one of them. Personally, I would not advise anyone to buy a macbook air.
QUOTE Thanks
Mudbug

Mudbug is on a distinguished road

The MacBook Air is great machine. But it is too limiting. It needs more USB ports and it needs an ethernet port. The size of the drive is too small for the cost. The lack of a CD/DVD drive and the one USB port is the reason I decided against it. There are times I need a DVD and wired ethernet. The Apple DVD has been reported not to work through a USB hub. So I decided against it.

It would be great for travel.
It's sexy.
It's light weight.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periculum View Post
The irony to this is that you pay more for less.
This is what REALLY bugs me about the MacBook Air!

You pay a lot more for less computer...when compared to the 13" MacBook (a laptop compared to a laptop)!

Yes you expect to pay more for a laptop vs. a desktop...and you expect to pay more for a better/faster laptop than a slower laptop.

But you don't expect to pay $500 more for a laptop that is slower, has a smaller hard drive, and has no DVD drive...and only weighs a little less than a MacBook!!!

What you're mainly paying for in the MacBook Air is styling...and the perceived "thinness"of it.

The tapered edges of the MacBook Air are really an optical illusion of "thinness". If you measure the thickness of the MacBook Air away from the edges or at it's thickest point...it's really not that much thinner then the 13" MBP's!

I can't help but think that lots of people at Apple are laughing all the way to the bank, when someone buys a MacBook Air..because it's a real ripoff!

I mean what else can you call paying 50% more money for a MacBook Air compared to a 13" MacBook!!!*

For folks that can afford to spend the extra money for the stying, the loss of computing power, and no DVD drive...yeah I guess it works for them...but just too many compromises for me.

- Nick

* Comparing the entry level 13" MacBook at $999 to the entry level MacBook Air at $1499.

Edit: My comparisons above were between the 13" MacBook & the 13" MacBook Air...in my original post I kept saying MacBook Pro instead of MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I have a refurb Rev B MBA 1.86Ghz/128SSD and a Late 2008 15" MBP 2.53Ghz/128SSD. Both are great IMHO. I use the Air for 99% of everything. The MBP is awesome, but it's a freaking tank in both size and weight. I keep it on my desk and power it up for software updates and to use Handbrake or MTR. The MBA handles WinXP VM's via Parallels, light personal non-commercial Aperature duty, boxee, Netflix, and everything else just fine. It's great to toss in the Jeep "just in case" I need to get online somewhere, for surfing online from the couch or garage, or logging into my employer's network to do time and expenses via my WinXP VM. I wouldn't discount either, but the MBA is currently meeting most of my needs just fine. Good luck with whichever one you select.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb

thanks for all the replies!

I think it would be a Pro because spec is what I'm after, not sexyness
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooGrape View Post
thanks for all the replies!

I think it would be a Pro because spec is what I'm after, not sexyness
Good deal...enjoy that new MBP when you get it!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I have a friend who sold her macbook and got an air because she like shiny things. Also back when the Macbook in 13" format was the white/black, I could see the appeal. But now that the Pro has gained the sexy (and all the other features that the air had vs. the Macbook), it makes little sense unless you REALLY want the thinness to go with the Air over the Pro. My Pro is just as portable, dang near as thin, just as sexy, as the Air and comes with user replaceable hard drive, memory and has more ports and a DVD drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Just about to hit the submit order button for...

MacBook Pro, 15", Aluminium
Configuration
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
COUNTRY KIT
QUOTE Thanks
GK27V6

GK27V6 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooGrape View Post
Just about to hit the submit order button for...

MacBook Pro, 15", Aluminium
Configuration
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
COUNTRY KIT
Hit it now! haha

QUOTE Thanks
Jgassaway

Jgassaway is on a distinguished road

I just bought one today. It's great. There's a LOT to get used to comming from a Dell desktop. This is my first Apple computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgassaway View Post
I just bought one today. It's great. There's a LOT to get used to comming from a Dell desktop. This is my first Apple computer.
Ah your first Mac, it will be a real delight for you.
Have a look here for some basic help

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

All the best and welcome to the proper OS!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Backlight? | White Macbook screen dim issue »