New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro or iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aivzdog

aivzdog is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I am going to get a new mac this weekend for my birthday and i was wondering what peoples thoughts about the macbook pro and imac were?
I use a macbook but the screen is cracked so its time to upgrade to something better.
My two things is I like the macbook pro because its portable but the nice thing about the imac is the screen size. I guess I will have to see what works better for me. I do go to a cabin on the weekends but if I do get the imac I guess I can take my old macbook with me.
Macbook pro or imac? Thoughts?

Anna
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well it looks like you got a few choices.

1. Get an iMac and keep your old MB
2. Get a MBP and hook it up to an external monitor.

I go with which ever one is more convenient for you.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

If you want take your laptop with you, I'd say get the MBP, get something that makes you happier in the long run.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

Ballr24 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD

and then maybe you could sell your old MB some people are willing to buy damaged or broken computers
QUOTE Thanks
erwewsyou

erwewsyou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch white macbook, 2.4 GHz intel core2 duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Airport Extreme card, OS10.5

It really depends on what you want and is most convenient. I'd say that if you are the type of person who does frequent video editing and such, get the iMac. If not then get the MBP and get some accesories
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Both are great machines. The question is whether or not you need to have portability for the majority of time. If portability is a perference of is needed, I say go with the MBP. If most of your computing time will be spent at your desk, go with the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aivzdog View Post
My two things is I like the macbook pro because its portable but the nice thing about the imac is the screen size.
What about this...how about getting the MacBook Pro for the portability, and purchasing a decent 24" external display that you can plug into the MBP when working at home.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

If your wanting to travel at all like you had mentioned, I would get the MBP, then pickup another monitor. This way you can use it like a desktop when your at home, or just pick up and go when you travel to your cabin on the weekends.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
If your wanting to travel at all like you had mentioned, I would get the MBP, then pickup another monitor. This way you can use it like a desktop when your at home, or just pick up and go when you travel to your cabin on the weekends.
Didn't I already say that!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Go the MBP route.

I had an iMac, got the MBP, sold the iMac, bought a 24" Cinema display and couldn't be happier.
QUOTE Thanks
DragonLance

DragonLance is an unknown at this point

though the iMac's cheaper and gets more storage.

Waiting for the game that takes full advantage of a 124bit, 3.5GHz, 8-core, 64Gig-RAM system.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Check hard drive RPM | Question about Improving Sound Quality »