Should I get the mac book pro to replace my two desktops?
    I am a graphic designer who uses PC for website design and Mac for graphic design - currently I am running two desktops and regularly switch between the two as work demands.

I need access and use all the usual Office 2007 apps - Powerpoint, Word, Excell e.t.c as well as the full range of Adobe products- Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Premier, Photoshop and sometimes Microsoft Visual Studio express.

I am thinking of making my life simpler (or more complicated) and upgrading to the Mac Book Pro 17" screen for on the road work with a wide screen for in office work.

I have heard the Mac Book Pro runs Windows XP and the associated apps with out any problems....

Am I asking too much of the Mac Book Pro and opening up a can of worms by deciding to ditch the two desktops in subsitute for the Mac Book Pro?

Bear in mind often I have 6 different apps open on each platform....

Thoughts from experienced users welcome.

Thank you,

J.

Specs:
    MacBook
    My opinion... you're better off with what you already have.

A notebook could offer some benefits if you're on the road, but I wouldn't use it to replace anything you already use.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

And it sounds like you could easily run out of disk space.
    A macbook pro only has limited HDD storage.
    Waiting for the game that takes full advantage of a 124bit, 3.5GHz, 8-core, 64Gig-RAM system.

Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    I'd stick with the desktops. Two different machines for two completely different work flows sounds very sensible to me.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by jonniespain View Post
    I am a graphic designer who uses PC for website design and Mac for graphic design - currently I am running two desktops and regularly switch between the two as work demands...
    Why have two computers and two different OS when you can do the same thing on both?

Only reason why I have a PC is for gaming. I do all my work on an iMac and when I need to work on the go I bring my 13" MBP with me.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Why have two computers and two different OS when you can do the same thing on both?
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
    Two different machines for two completely different work flows sounds very sensible to me.
    Since these computers are used for work, it isn't smart to put all of your eggs in one basket... so to speak.

Just because you can run both operating systems on one machine doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

It might not be a completely bad idea if he augmented his setup with a notebook. He could use Windows and OS X on the notebook, while keeping his desktops as they are.

However, getting rid of two fully functional and well working computers and replacing them with one isn't the most pragmatic choice.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information