New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Electrifying MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I don't know if this is normal, but when (when I'm typing) the inside of my forearm, you know the really sensitive part, touches My MacBook Pro I can feel this kinda stingy sensation, just really tiny jolts of electricity.
I dont feel this when I touch it with my fingers, understandably... just the sensitive parts.
Somehow I get the feeling it's got something to do with faulty insulation.

Anyone had the same experience?
Should I have someone at Apple take a look at it?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
I don't know if this is normal, but when (when I'm typing) the inside of my forearm, you know the really sensitive part, touches My MacBook Pro I can feel this kinda stingy sensation, just really tiny jolts of electricity.
I dont feel this when I touch it with my fingers, understandably... just the sensitive parts.
Somehow I get the feeling it's got something to do with faulty insulation.

Anyone had the same experience?
Should I have someone at Apple take a look at it?
Are you sure that your arm isn't falling asleep?

You sort of get that same "tingly" feeling when your arm is starting to "fall asleep".

You could also be pinching a nerve in some weird way with your forearm resting on the edge of the laptop.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If it is an electrical charge, you should definitely go to Apple and have it fixed. No product should cause you pain or discomfort, however minimal it may be.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
No product should cause you pain or discomfort, however minimal it may be.
Of course that depends if the product is designed to cause the user pain or discomfort! Some people like that sort of thing!

But when it comes to computers...I totally agree!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

No my arm is wide awake, or maybe just the rest of me is asleep....hmm
No it's like a needle is pressed to my skin, only very gently, it does'nt hurt but it's just (like pigoo3 said) discomforting at best (or worst).

Anyways thanks

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Some folks (search this forum) have reported receiving mild shocks from their metal cased (aluminum) MacBook Pros. Whether it's due to improper grounding of your electrical outlets or the machine itself, you should do as Van suggested and have it checked out by an Apple tech. If the machine checks out OK, you need to have an electrician test your outlets at home or you can do it yourself by buying an outlet tester at Home Depot or Lowes. You may have a circuit which is not properly grounded.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
DragonLance

DragonLance is an unknown at this point

Quote:
it does'nt hurt but it's just (like pigoo3 said) discomforting at best (or worst).
It's best to make sure the "discomfort at best" doesn't turn into "death at best" at some point :p
QUOTE Thanks
Mudbug

Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
If it is an electrical charge, you should definitely go to Apple and have it fixed. No product should cause you pain or discomfort, however minimal it may be.
Unless it is running Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Have a friend who has same problem so i took my MBP along to her place and swapping mine for hers she gets the shock off mine as well and i have never had it happen. After some protracted dealing with Apple service tech it appears that the design includes some sort of floating earth and it is a known issue but largely ignored. Solution was to not use MBP with bare feet on tile floor or use rubber mat under your feet. Guess it just means that i am insensitive.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

And incidentally we had her placed checked by a sparky and it all came up clean - no electrical supply problems at all. If i took my shoes off and placed the inner aspect of wrist on the laptop i did get the smallest of sensation on both hers and mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
Unless it is running Windows.
Hey, don't get me started on that one, now there's a jolt I don't wanna feel no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLance View Post
It's best to make sure the "discomfort at best" doesn't turn into "death at best" at some point :p
Got a strong heart, I'm married, and I had a windows laptop before I started with Mac, so Bring it on!!!lol

QUOTE Thanks
DragonLance

DragonLance is an unknown at this point

Quote:
And incidentally we had her placed checked by a sparky and it all came up clean - no electrical supply problems at all. If i took my shoes off and placed the inner aspect of wrist on the laptop i did get the smallest of sensation on both hers and mine.
My friend once complained that my ipod shocked him and ruined his speakers which we'd set up on it. His speakers WERE ruined, but it turned out he'd licked the iPod. And his teeth felt fine again after an hour or so.

... though I guess this is off topic now :I

conclusion: make sure it's safe. There's no need to take any risks
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

He had licked the ipod.... it seems it did'nt ruin his appetite.lol

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do You Need SSD to upgrade to better SSD? | Macbook HDMI/DVI to TV Not Working! »