New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook Overheating and Fan Making Loud Noises

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

itsjackie

itsjackie is on a distinguished road

My macbook always overheats when I'm watching videos -- either on the internet or on iTunes. It seems to have no problem with youtube, but it overheats when I'm watching TV shows on sites like megavideo or watchtvsitcoms (before it got shut down..)

Anyway I don't know what to do.. it makes really loud annoying fan sounds and gets super hot (even when I put it on a stand or something to prop it up).

If I take it into the Apple Genius bar, will they be able to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Jackie
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Overheats?

You mean it gets hot or you mean it gets hot enough that it shuts down the machine? If it's shutting down the machine - take it in.

If the fans are making a noise other than the sound of aid being blown out - take it on in.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
itsjackie

The macbook just gets really hot and the fans make a loud noise -- even if I've only had the computer on for a couple minutes and am watching a video.

Could this be because of too much memory usage..? There's only about 1 gig left on my computer, I don't know if that's relevant.

-Jackie
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjackie View Post
The macbook just gets really hot and the fans make a loud noise -- even if I've only had the computer on for a couple minutes and am watching a video.
Doesn't sound normal to me. How old is the machine?

Quote:
Could this be because of too much memory usage..?
No.

Quote:
There's only about 1 gig left on my computer, I don't know if that's relevant.

-Jackie
Memory and hard disk space are two different things. Every time you shut your computer off, your memory is purged.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
itsjackie

Oh I didn't know about that memory and hard drive thing. Eek. Sorry I'm not very good with this type of thing. Well anyway the computer is about 2.. 2 and a half years old maybe?

Weirdly enough, I think I've solved the problem. It sounds stupid but once I started using my computer on my new glass-top desk instead of my black wood old desk, it stopped. Maybe the black held the heat longer or something? It's so odd but I'm glad I (sort of) figured it out

Thank you all for your help <3

-Jackie
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Another thing you might want to try is to get a can of compressed air and blow several short bursts of air into the vents to clear dust. Over time your fan will collect dust and this will help to clear it out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Freezing of Mac Pro 13" | Need factory settings »