New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - New HDD or new macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrus

chrus is on a distinguished road

Hey

I'm about to start a programming degree at uni so i'm going to have to go back to using windows for some things

I want to duel boot OSX and windows using bootcamp/parallels, but I don't know how my current macbook would go. Now im using a 2 year old macbook, 2.16GHz, 1GB Ram, 120GB HDD.

Would I be better off buying a new HDD (500GB maybe) and sticking with this lappy? Or upgrade to a shiny new macbook pro?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Buying a new macbook is not necessary, but it is an improvement.

I would personally upgrade the RAM to 2-4 GB as your programming will probably lag up at times due to only 1 GB of RAM.

Also if you are running Vista or Windows 7, I would highly recommend at least 2 GB of RAM.

If you think you need a new hard drive, I would upgrade it to however much you need. You are the judge.

As a guestimate, this should cost you around 100 bucks (roughly).

A new MB or MBP is around 1000.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Concerns about buying the new mbp | Ethernet Port Not Recognizing Cat5 »