New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Connecting to a TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Horsfall

Horsfall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook aluminium, 2.4ghz, 250gb hard drive

Hi i recently purchased a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable for my macbook. When i plug my HDMI cable into it, my TV displays my wallpaper i have on my macbook but thats it?? i cant see the cursor move or see movies that are being played on my mac. Can someone please help im a mac newbie and im stuck lol.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try moving your cursor off the edge of your monitor. One edge or the other and it will show up on your TV. You can drag and drop whatever app you'd like to the TV.

Or, if you want the same thing on both screens, go to System Preferences - Displays and put a check next to Mirrored Mode or something like that.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

If you're going to be using the external monitor a lot, go to System Preferences>Displays and check the box that has "Show displays in menu bar" next to it.

Then click on the icon in the menu bar. If you check "Turn On Mirroring", you'll see your Macbook's screen replicated on the external display. You may have to choose a different resolution from the list in order for it to show up correctly.

If you check "Turn Off Mirroring", your external display will become an extension, not a replica, of your Macbook's desktop. The Dock, menu bar and everything else will remain on your Macbook, but you can drag windows off of that screen and directly "onto" the external display. You can choose the correct position and set up for your monitors under System Preferences>Displays.
QUOTE Thanks
Horsfall

Right thanks for the advice ppl. I can now see on my TV screen what is on my mac's screen, but i have no sound? do i need to change some sound settings?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsfall View Post
Right thanks for the advice ppl. I can now see on my TV screen what is on my mac's screen, but i have no sound? do i need to change some sound settings?
You'll need to run a cable from the headphone jack of the MacBook to the audio input of your TV. This is the one you need.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Horsfall

im sure HDMI cables carry sound? maybe im wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It does. However, the mini-display port you're connecting the HDMI cable to does not.

QUOTE Thanks
jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

You will need an AUX cable to carry the sound.

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You might want to pull out the manual for your TV and do some reading.

Not all TV's provide for a sound input separately from the HDMI port itself.
Some reserve a single HDMI input designed for computers that do have a separate audio input.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nvidia Card Problems with MacBook Pros | Washed-out screen, vertical lines, won't boot »