New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - my macbook doesn't boot...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andy0x2A

Andy0x2A is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook 140, 16 mhz, 20mb HDD, 4 mb ram

Hello,

Today when I tried to boot my macbook, nothing happened. The backlight went on, but the computer didn't boot.

Any ideas? How would I go about fixing this..

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0x2A View Post
Hello,

Today when I tried to boot my macbook, nothing happened. The backlight went on, but the computer didn't boot.

Any ideas? How would I go about fixing this..

Thanks
Is it still covered by warranty...if so...hello Apple Store!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Andy0x2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick

Unfortunately, it's too old, it's a powerbook 140
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Try booting the Powerbook with your original install media. Does it boot?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have you got the OS install disk? if so try booting from that and running Repair Disk. Otherwise not good news as she is a very old machine, released in 1991, and probably not worth spending too much on.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy0x2A

I don't have the original install disk, I was hoping that there was a key combination or something similar to diagnose what's wrong. ( Something like safe mode or booting into bios on a PC)
QUOTE Thanks
sonspot

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

Quote:

- Nick
hmmm let me see, your right your right your right,. check with apple store first or local computer shop, its pretty hard for anyone to diag over the net..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's too old, it's a powerbook 140
What!!!...a Powerbook 140!

I hope this is a special project of sorts...and not your main laptop computer...you probably can't even surf the web with that (no modern browsers available that will run on it).

In any case...some Apple computers (even laptops)...have "booting" issues if the PRAM battery is dead.

I would say investigate if your laptop has a PRAM battery (this is NOT the battery that runs your laptop when it's not plugged in)...and if so replace it with a new one.

That is if this is a computer that you really want to get working.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
apple store first or local computer shop,
Don't forget...some of the employees at the Apple Store may not of even been born when the Powerbook 140 was launched...they ain't gonna know squat about a Powerbook 140!!!

Go into an Apple Store & ask them about a Powerbook 140...and they're gonna look at you like you are from Mars!!!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Andy0x2A

Quote:
What!!!...a Powerbook 140!

I hope this is a special project of sorts...and not your main laptop computer...you probably can't even surf the web with that (no modern browsers available that will run on it).

In any case...some Apple computers (even laptops)...have "booting" issues if the PRAM battery is dead.

I would say investigate if your laptop has a PRAM battery (this is NOT the battery that runs your laptop when it's not plugged in)...and if so replace it with a new one.

That is if this is a computer that you really want to get working.

- Nick

Yeah, I doubt it would be able to surf the net, although it does have a kermit and telnet client. I am wanting to load some of those old mac games onto it, and have it a 'gaming' machine. There really isn't any other use I could think of, unless I need a paper weight.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy0x2A

Quote:
Don't forget...some of the employees at the Apple Store may not of even been born when the Powerbook 140 was launched...they ain't gonna know squat about a Powerbook 140!!!

Go into an Apple Store & ask them about a Powerbook 140...and they're gonna look at you like you are from Mars!!!

- Nick
Yah, I assume that they won't be able to repair it, nor will they have parts for it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Yeah, I doubt it would be able to surf the net, although it does have a kermit and telnet client. I am wanting to load some of those old mac games onto it, and have it a 'gaming' machine. There really isn't any other use I could think of, unless I need a paper weight.
Yeah...I have some old Macs for that purpose as well. One of them needed a new PRAM battery to get it to boot. It was a desktop, but it may be the same problem with your 140.

Here's a link to some PRAM batteries. Some of them are for laptops...but I don't think any of them are for a PB 140.

As you can see, some of them are pricey...and that's why I said earlier, that this has got to be a computer you REALLY want to get running.

Since the PRAM battery could be more expensive than what the whole Powerbook 140 is worth!

You could just buy an old desktop Mac from the early 1990's, and use it to run those old games. The PRAM battery for an old desktop is just $5.00 bucks.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
sonspot

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

Quote:

- Nick
, i had the thread open then posted two hours later, not seeing the post on the powerbook 140 but your right on all points..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD Hard Drive Help | upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.10 »