New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Bootable copy of 15" MBP HD to 17" MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Whyers

Whyers is on a distinguished road

I've purchased two Unibody MacBook Pro's, one 15" 2.4GH, one 17" 2.8GH. I have finally got the 15" completely loaded with apps/utils/plugin's/pref.... and I want to simply dup this to my 17". I'm looking at using FolderSyncronizer or the like to create a bootable disk. My question is really if there is anything in the system on the 2.4GH machine that's going to break the 2.8GH when copied? I know the video is a bit different on the 2.4GH (256MB on both cards, 17" has 256 and 512)... but the cards are identical model #'s... I can't really think of a reason not to.

Oh, and I finally have the stupid video out driving two 15" externals; used "teleport" software and simply hooked up an old Mac and VPN.. what is the deal with Apple and the mini disp. port and goofy fn resolutions... day's of BS... who should get that bill eh?

B
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Use Migration Assistant on the 17" to import everything from the 15". You'll need a firewire cable. It can be done over ethernet I believe, but it'll take hours.

Here's a pretty good walkthrough of the process.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

bobtomay is correct. Firewire is quicker, though ethernet is officially supported. You'd probably even be fine using Carbon Copy Cloner, though a clone is not necessarily the best option.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook air superdrive | ibook hard drive replace »