Specs:
    Macbook Version 10.4.11 2GHz processor 2 GB RAM
    No picture when hooking Macbook to HDTV/Monitor
    Hello

First time poster. I'm trying to hook my macbook up to my RCA HDTV/Monitor. I am using the following A) VGA adapter (plugged into Macbook) 2) DVI-A Female to HDD/VGA Male Adapter 3)DVI-D Dual link cable (plugged into DVI port in back of TV).

I have also plugged in some RCA cables for sound and the sound comes out of the TV speakers. Can anyone help me? My TV is not displaying my laptop screen. I went to the spotlight icon and typed in "Monitor" and I can see that the HDTV is detected. See photobucket pic in link.
    http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/Picture2.png

I have pressed the F7 button to toggle to the TV, but I'm getting no signal. Can anyone help? I'd greatly appreciate it. I tried searching the forum for this issue but didn't find any threads that addressed my problem. Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

Thanks in advance!!

Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Ram, 10.4.11
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    Possible solution
    Hi-

I was thinking about using a converter box and just plug my VGA in from the Mac to the converter box and then use the RCA cable(s) (from the box) to plug into the TV.

A converter like this maybe

Sewell PC to TV Converter - SW-22050, $34.95

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Seems like you're overly complicating the hookup. Why not attach a mini DVI adapter to the DVI output port on the MacBook and from the adapter to a straight DVI cable to the back of your TV? Sound is correct so you don't need to change that.

Regards.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    chscag is correct. Apple's mini-dvi to dvi adapter is only $19 and should work with the DVI-D dual link cable you already have.

Right now, you're coming out of the computer with analog only VGA and then trying to connect a digital only cable to it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    New adapter
    Thanks guys.

I didn't realize I was going back to analog with the VGA cable. A guy at Radio Shack told me that this would work. Now that I think about it, my current set up does seem complicated (e.g. DVI Digital to VGA Analog and back to DVI).

I'm going to order that part and give it a shot.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Probably because that's the only thing he had to sell you.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

im having a similar problem..

i have a macbook connected to my hdtv like so:
    mini display port>dvi/vga cable (my tv has no dvi input)

but my mb wants to use its own screen as the two separate monitors and i cant adjust the settings anymore b/c when the mini display port is plugged in, i have no mouse or tool bar and am basically just stuck on that screen.

can anyone help??

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Mslaysh, it sounds like you need to set your display option to Turn On Mirroring. Your external screen is probably displaying an extension (not a replica) of your desktop, but the Dock, menu bar and everything else is still on your Macbook screen. If you go into System Preferences>Displays, there should be an option to turn mirroring on and off. If you're going to be using an external monitor a lot, choose the option that puts the display options in your menu bar.

Specs:
    Problem solved!!
    Simple solution. Got the mini DVI to DVI converter that plugs into my Macbook. Plugged it into the DVI of my TV and BAM. Fantastic picture.

Easy as cake installation. I shouldn't have tried that crazy workaround. Now I'm going to return some things to Radio Shack.

Thanks fellas!

Thread Information