New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Just got my first mac book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Angela2307

Angela2307 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone I have found this forum after buying my first mac book, I ordered it yesterday.

Has anyone from the UK brought direct from Apple on Finance and if you have how long did it take before you got your mac book?
I dont normally buy on finance but at the moment I have no laptop (I am posting this at work) I use to have a Dell laptop but it has broke now and at only 4 years old aswell...

Anyway if anyone has gone from a PC to a Mac how easy was it? is it hard to get use to?

Thank you for any Advice
My name is Angela and im 22 from the Uk thought I would introduce myself.

Angela
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Never used finance (with Apple at least) but the transition from Windows to OS X will be smooth for most people.

If you do find you are missing the odd Windows application then there is always one of the virtualization options available (e.g. VMware fusion, Parallels) and of course the regulars here will be happy to offer alternatives if you list the apps that you're missing on your Mac.

Welcome aboard Angela
QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

Thank you for the reply, first off the main thing i want woking when I get it is internet, which mine is through AOL as im still at hom and thats the company my dad likes I have heard problems with it not sure weather it is fine on macs.

is there and internet thing on macs like on Windows you always have Internet Explorer on there to start with?

And also does MSN work on macs?

Thank you cant wait to get the mac
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela2307 View Post
Thank you for the reply, first off the main thing i want woking when I get it is internet, which mine is through AOL as im still at hom and thats the company my dad likes I have heard problems with it not sure weather it is fine on macs.

is there and internet thing on macs like on Windows you always have Internet Explorer on there to start with?

And also does MSN work on macs?

Thank you cant wait to get the mac
Yes, the web browser on Mac is called Safari.

I'm assuming your talking about MSN Messenger? There is MSN Messenger, but I think most people will agree with me that Adium is the best instant messaging client for Mac. It will allow you to connect to MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, etc. (the list goes on) with only one application.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough

Ok, first off you can get MSN for Mac, looks a little different and to be honest it's not as good as MSN for Windows (if you are in to video chatting that is) normal text chatting is fine on MSN for Mac. You don't need the link yet but here it is all the same.

Internet browser = Safari - great browser, but there are more to choose from, Safari is pre-installed but you can also choose to get Firefox, I think Opera is available, Camino, Chrome will be out soon, there are choices for sure, but Safari is installed from the get go and is a great browser to be honest.

AOL; this will work fine on your Mac, it is a Service provider that probably comes into your home on an broadband modem connected to a home wireless router (the modem and router are often the same device) you do not need to install any AOL software; as long as that wireless router is working then the in-built wireless connection in your Mac should be able to connect to it with no problems and you'll be ready to go.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave.
QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

Hiya thank you for the replies.

Yeah I am conencted to a wireless router at the moment.
I have heard of Ebuddy which lets you connect to MSN, facebook chat, yahoo etc, I use that on the nintendo DSi. but not the one you mentioned adium, I will look into that one.

I dont use video chat on MSN just normal text, dont like people seeing me on webcam

I hope I get it by the end of the week, as my mum is off work so there will be someone here for delivery and my dad wont know he didnt want me getting a macbook, but since when do people listen to parents, I work and paying for it myself so not a problem I can see....
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

Quote:
I dont use video chat on MSN just normal text, dont like people seeing me on webcam
I know what you mean, it is actually quite off-putting to have a video chat... I never understood the point of making video phone calls from a mobile phone either...

Quote:
I hope I get it by the end of the week, as my mum is off work so there will be someone here for delivery and my dad wont know he didnt want me getting a macbook, but since when do people listen to parents, I work and paying for it myself so not a problem I can see....
lol
QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

I dont have a video phone, not anymore anyway never used it so what was the point

I have a webcam think I have used it once.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Here is Adium
QUOTE Thanks
kalevine102

kalevine102 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" Unibody

congrats on the new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
griffinhall

griffinhall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 inch Macbook(Late 2006) /Intel Core Duo 2 / 1.83 Ghz / 160 GB HDD / 1 GB RAM

I also just got a new macbook. i like a lot and you probly will too

QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

Hi and thank you for the link to Adium, makes it easier when I get my macbook to download it now

Havent heard anything yet today about a delivery date thats if they tell you I dont know, I have checked the status and still says under review, which means they are waiting on the payment to go through. Freepost might be second class post in UK im not sure....wish it would hurry up though
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Hey im in the exact same boat as you.

I posted my finance papers off on friday and by Monday afternoon apple emailed me to let me know they was processing my order.
Its now Wednesday and I've been told my order should be shipped some point today ready for delivery around the 11th or 12th

-- Bry

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
Angela2307

Oh right so I might here tomorrow about them processing my order then, I might have it next week then maybe.....

At least I have a computer I can use till then though, just cant wait
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

The wait is definitely evil :p

Its all so worth it though, hope it all goes smooth for you

-- Bry

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New HDD questions | Keyboard-Easier or Harder to Type »