New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - How to see free space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Weixlbaumer

Weixlbaumer is on a distinguished road

Hi.

I have got my first mac book!

So... How i can see the free space on the harddrive?

Thx!
QUOTE Thanks
fade

when you first open finder at the bottom of the window it says (for me)

9 items, 184.82GB available.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can also right click your HD icon and choose "Get Info" to see how large the drive is, how much space is being used and how much space is free.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

or open terminal and type

df -H

all sorts of ways

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
fade

Dur, dunno why I didn't think about right clicking the icon.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
or open terminal and type

df -H

all sorts of ways
That way measures base 10 though, which can be misleading. I would recommend df -hl, which measures in base 2 (a more "accurate" representation of your HD) along with ignoring mounts that won't be of concern to a regular user such as devfs (-l option).

For instance, using df and measuring in base 10 (-H) tells me that I have 201GB of free space, when in fact I have 187.3GB of free space (-h reports back 187GB).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Weixlbaumer

Weixlbaumer is on a distinguished road

THX!! very much! You helped me very much
QUOTE Thanks
jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro

Get the iStat widget for your dashboard. It is pretty neat and tells you everything you want to know. It will read any USB or firewire drive too. It's also available as an app for the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That way measures base 10 though, which can be misleading. I would recommend df -hl, which measures in base 2 (a more "accurate" representation of your HD) along with ignoring mounts that won't be of concern to a regular user such as devfs (-l option).

For instance, using df and measuring in base 10 (-H) tells me that I have 201GB of free space, when in fact I have 187.3GB of free space (-h reports back 187GB).
I don't think any of this "tech talk" is of any real value to the original poster!

I think that they were looking for a much more "down to earth" answer...which was already suggested.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« osx 5.7 background images will not fit to screen | mouse pad »