New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook unibody 13.3", can I part it out?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ooJAKESAUCEoo

ooJAKESAUCEoo is on a distinguished road

So about a month ago lightning struck my house. We lost a lot of electronics at our house, desktop, tv's, phones, router, modem, clocks. A bunch of stuff. Including my new macbook!! But when all was said and done, the insurance check came back and i was able to get the newer MBP w/ backlit keyboard and also the free iTouch which was a nice little benefit. Still sucks I didn't have anything but an old desktop for a month. bleh.

So took the computer to a local computer shop, ran tests. motherboard is fried. So now I have 2 questions:

1) Would apple fix it and would it cost me? If i could salvage it I could sell it and make up the difference I lost on insurance. (only got $800 back for the laptop )

2) Could I dissemble it and sell off individual parts? It was only two weeks old the thing looks great, just a bad motherboard now. I can't use the battery in the new one since its not really convienent to take out the battery on the updated model.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooJAKESAUCEoo View Post

2) Could I dissemble it and sell off individual parts?
Of course you can...there are hundreds of people doing it on e-Bay!
QUOTE Thanks
Square_nothing

Square_nothing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Of course you can...there are hundreds of people doing it on e-Bay!
wel i gues you can but i would make sure that the parts you are selling work.
you could defentialy sell the case and keybord im guessing.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_nothing View Post
wel i gues you can but i would make sure that the parts you are selling work.
you could defentialy sell the case and keybord im guessing.
You're doing a lot of "guessing"!

An honest person sells:

- working parts as working
- non-working parts as non-working
- and parts you are unsure of as "not sure"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

To the OP:

You can always advertise the machine as is - explaining what happened and what's wrong with it. Someone may be interested in purchasing it to repair or for parts. I do not recommend disassembling it unless for some reason you can't sell it as is.

And to everyone else:

Lesson to be learned here = unless you have the type of home owner's insurance that allows for separate scheduling of items, most insurance companies will not reimburse the full amount of value loss. And, if it's like it is here in Texas, home owners policies generally carry a 1% deductible on the full value of the home + contents. If your home + contents are valued at $200,000.00 the deductible is $2000.00!

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

If just the logic board is fried, you can still sell:

The HDD (if it isn't fried)
The keyboard
The case
The display
The trackpad
The CD drive (if it isn't fried)
The battery
The RAM (if it isn't fried, though you won't get much for it since RAM is cheap new these days; and I know you didn't have 8GIG since that's $$$)
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Apple would not repair the Macbook under warrantee if it obviously suffered lightening damage. Quite often lightening damage will damage more than the logic board. Unless parts are swapped out or replaced, with a dead logic board it's impossible to tell if other parts are good. You would have to state the true condition if selling it for parts. Re the post above, if a white Macbook, the keyboard and trackpad are both incorporated into the top case / keyboard assembly, so couldn't be sold separately.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cheap 'imitation' batteries | Macbook HDD comes and goes... »