New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MB Pro Crashes approx 1 out of every 5 startups

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djpulse

djpulse is on a distinguished road

Found a Macbook Pro on craigslist for $700. Inquired about it, said its got a problem with crashing once every 5 startups or so, so he would let it go for $450... insisted that his local apple store said it would cost about $200 or so to fix the problems (but never told me exactly what was wrong, just that it was a 'software' issue... that reinstallation of OS didnt fix). Told him I'd pay him the $450 if he met me in the apple store and they confirmed $200ish to fix the problem. Well, he said he isn't available to meet in an apple store due to a busy schedule on the day i asked him to meet, so i said i'd pay him $250 cash and walk with it. Would this be smart, or stupid on my part? I realize that a new logic board would run $400ish, which if i had to replace would still be a decent investment. THOUGHTS???? SUGGESTIONS???? specs on it are 2.2ghz, 120gb hd, 2gb ram. again, he says it crashes once every 5 times or so he boots it up. $250 cash.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Good idea telling the seller that you would meet him at the Apple Store AFTER they confirm or at least estimate the repair costs.

So many sellers selling broken electronics on Craig's list come up with some sort of bogus estimate of what it will cost to fix. This is either a very low figure based on absolutely no professional estimate, or a "watered-down" amount based on a real estimate.

If you insist on meeting at the Apple Store, and he keeps coming up with reasons why he can't meet at that particular time/day...I would say that he's hiding something.

If he's willing to sell it to you for $250 cash, and you're able to "test drive" the laptop to confirm it's condition...then I would say go for it.

But if you're talking closer to $450...if it needs some serious repairs...it might be better to skip it.

Good luck,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

How old is it.
QUOTE Thanks
Blazkowicz

Blazkowicz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PMG5 2.0 DP/9800XT, PBG4 1.5 12"

There's not a lot you can fix on a MBP for $200. However, I'd be willing to endure the shame of a hang/reboot one every once in a while for a $250 MBP.

"Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy." PPC works for me..
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Don't give this guy a cent until you get an assessment of the issue from an Apple Store. If he wants your money that badly, he'll take some time out of his schedule to meet you there, but it kind of sounds like an excuse to me. You never know, it might even be stolen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Hard disk false failure | New Macbook Pro having minor screen issues »