New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hpsgirl5311

hpsgirl5311 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I got a new MacBook Pro a week or two ago and I've notices the battery life isn't what I was told it would be. I fully charge it and it will last me two and a half hours tops, just surfing the web and listening to music. I don't know if there is something wrong with my machine or what because my friend has a year old MacBook that stays charged for 5-6 hours doing the same things as mine. Any thoughts? Thanks for our time.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsgirl5311 View Post
Hey guys, I got a new MacBook Pro a week or two ago and I've notices the battery life isn't what I was told it would be. I fully charge it and it will last me two and a half hours tops, just surfing the web and listening to music.
Listening to music doesn't help...the speakers use energy, and if the music is on your hard drive...it will be spinning a lot!

Also...if you're internet surfing involves a lot of U-Tube or other sites with lots of video content, that will eat up battery life as well.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
hpsgirl5311

Thanks, that's good to know, but the other day I was typing and it started off with about 95% battery and was at 0% about 2 hours. Is that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks, that's good to know, but the other day I was typing and it started off with about 95% battery and was at 0% about 2 hours. Is that normal?
If all you were doing is typing...2 hours seems kinda short. How bright do you keep your screen?
QUOTE Thanks
hpsgirl5311

I usually keep it pretty low. Is there anything I could do to increase the battery life?
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

When you were typing, did you have anything else running in the background? Were you listening to music at the same time?

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
fade

make sure programs you close are actually closed, not in standby on the dock. I forget frequently that I have iTunes, iCal, Mail, Safari, Pages, Preview, and Address Book in standby mode when all I'm doing is homework. I'll turn them all completely off and watch my battery gain 10+ % I can usually get between 3-4 hours just internet surfing and 5+ if I'm working on writing a paper if i turn the airport off.
QUOTE Thanks
hpsgirl5311

Thanks, I'll try these suggestions
QUOTE Thanks
fade

also throw out to turn the screen brightness down and the keyboard backlight off.

and as i learned today, dont leave a vm running xp while on battery.. lol
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If this is the new uni-body with the non replacable battery that seems short
my 3yr old MBP gets a little over 2 hrs surfing while listening to iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Hey guys, I got a new MacBook Pro a week or two ago and I've notices the battery life isn't what I was told it would be. I fully charge it and it will last me two and a half hours tops, just surfing the web and listening to music. I don't know if there is something wrong with my machine or what because my friend has a year old MacBook that stays charged for 5-6 hours doing the same things as mine. Any thoughts? Thanks for our time.
There may be something wrong with your battery. I am over half brightness and I have my backlit keyboard on, while surfing the internet. I have 40% battery and I have 2 hours 42 minutes remaining.

I am running the new MBP 13 inch.

I would run coconut battery and you may be able to figure out if your battery is defective by seeing how many mAH there are left in your battery.
QUOTE Thanks
jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

am having battery issues on the same model, mine will only go up to 98%. I let it die yesterday and recharged it over night. and still only goes up to 98%.

not only that but when I got it I was getting 4-5 hours with no issue. sometimes even more. now it only shows 2 - 2:30 hours max.

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
sparky12345678

sparky12345678 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm a novice so be gentle. I have a MBP 15" inch and when the battery is fully charged at 100% i unplug and within 30 minutes i get a message that i am running on reserve power. I generally am surfing facebook or ancestry, i may have mail running in the background. The brightness is about 40% and keypad light is off. I'm using my wireless internet connection.

thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
Hi guys, I'm a novice so be gentle. I have a MBP 15" inch and when the battery is fully charged at 100% i unplug and within 30 minutes i get a message that i am running on reserve power. I generally am surfing facebook or ancestry, i may have mail running in the background. The brightness is about 40% and keypad light is off. I'm using my wireless internet connection.

thanks for your help.
How long have you had your computer...and how often do you use your laptop on battery power? In other words, how often (per day or per week) does your battery get drained from use, and then need to be recharged?

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
normcox

normcox is on a distinguished road

I bought 4 - 15 inch macbook pros (June 09), even with messing around with the Energy Saving preferences we can only get around two hours. I always have multiple apps running and always on wireless. My old Macbooks performed much better under the same circumstances. I am considering buying a new battery, maybe we got a bad batch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook making thumping noises | New Phone Pantech C740 and Macbook Bluetooth? »